Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it GERD?

Default Is it GERD?

I'm not sure if it's related to my OALD or not, but my son's spitting up seems to have increased in the past few days. Just now he has spit up twice after one feeding, about a tablespoon full all total. He then cries uncontrollably for 20-30 minutes. Burping doesn't seem to help much, and if I bicycle his legs, he acts as if he's choking while on his back. The really upsetting thing is while he's in this state, he roots around looking for more, and I don't dare give him more because I know he's still very gassy.

His weight gain and diaper output are fine- he's 9oz heavier than his birthweight and he has a dirty diaper for every feeding.

What to do? Should I call my pediatrician, or feed him a bit more to soothe him, in spite of the gas or what? I feel awful for him, and I know all the crying is wearing him out.
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.
    Born 12/28/07 6lbs, 12oz 20" long
    @ 20wks: 16.5 lbs, 27" long

I to my little man! (It's the only way I can get things done!)

Default Re: Is it GERD?

A tablespoon does not sound like a lot so i am not sure i would be too concerned. But you can always call your pediatrician to be sure. Is the spit up coming out forcefully?? My daughter in the first few weeks spit up a few times where it came out her nose and everything. It was scary but what i did was just made sure i kept her upright while burping her and for awhile after the feeding and that has helped with most of the spitting up she was doing. If your son is still rooting that means he probably is still hungry and that is the reason for his fussiness. My daughter does not always burp for me so if she seems like she wants more after i try burping her i put her back on the breast to finish.
    Hope this helps.

I don't think it would hurt to try and continue feeding after he spits up. If he is rooting, he is probably still hungry...either that, or he wants his mama to soothe him with the breast. A tablespoon isn't too much, but if you want to be reassured, you can always call the pediatrician. Keeping your LO upright after a feeding is definitely a good idea. HTH
    Becca SAHM to
    Veronica 10/31/05

and Preston 10/28/07

<--- me!
    (I love this smiley!)

I finally got on Facebook! If anyone wants to be my
    friend.

Could be...check with your pediatrician. If your son's throat hurts from acid coming up the esophagus, he may seek out milk to soothe the pain. I wouldn't be too concerned about the spitting up if weight gain is good and output is good, but I would be very concerned about the possibility of pain from acid reflux.

You can get more information about GERD in the reading room/library at www.reflux.org and there is also a forum there (though not that many breastfeeding mamas).

Keeping his head elevated at least 30 degrees while feeding and for 30 minutes afterwards, elevating his changing table and sleeping area, and keeping him off his back as much as possible (ie, baby wearing) often work well. There are many more tips at the above site.

Do ask you pedi, though, because GERD is no fun for baby or family and there are some side effects/related problems that it's important to be aware of if it is GERD.

Is it possible that something in your diet might be exacerbating things? I found, early on, that milk, soy and garlic were really hard on my little guy, GERD aside (but they made that worse too).

Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzomama View Post
    Is it possible that something in your diet might be exacerbating things? I found, early on, that milk, soy and garlic were really hard on my little guy, GERD aside (but they made that worse too).

Keep us posted!
    I know he's soy sensitive- he had pretty bad jaundice his first week and the ped. wanted us to supplement with formula, which was soy-based and he thew up bottle after bottle of it. Otherwise, there's nothing different in my diet since his first week that would make him react so now. Like I said, this has been a recent development over the past few days, and it seems to be getting worse each day.

What makes me suspect GERD in the first place is that my cousin's LO- who is now 7 mos. old- has it. However, they didn't catch it until he was more than 4 mos. The ped. kept on treating him for a food allergy and only checked out GERD as a last resort.

Unfortunately, due to the storm we're having, my ped's office was closed today, and the last thing I want to do is go out in this snow to the ER. I have a feeling we're in for a rough night, and you know I'm going to be on the phone first thing tomorrow.
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.
    Born 12/28/07 6lbs, 12oz 20" long
    @ 20wks: 16.5 lbs, 27" long

I to my little man! (It's the only way I can get things done!)