Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Desperate - Milk Bottle Strike!

Default Desperate - Milk Bottle Strike!

Hi! I have a baby boy who is now 6 1/2 months old. I have been breastfeeding him exclusively and am still doing so. I went back to work >3 months ago. When I was not around, he had been drinking breastmilk from the bottle. There was no problems until recently.

My boy is rejecting the bottle nowadays. He would cry when presented with the bottle. He would chew on the nipple and push the bottle away. He only drinks when he is extremely hungry. He used to drink about 2 to 3 hours apart. Right now he only does 2/3 bottles in say .. a 10 hour period. Each bottle is only about 80 to 100ml and he doesn't finish them. I'm worried that he is not taking enough. Please advice.

In addition, I'm trying to start my boy on solids - apples, bananas, papayas, rice cereals etc. He would take only a couple of mouthfuls and starts pushing everything out of his mouth. During mealtimes, he would sit with us and stare longingly at everything we eat, and he would chew at every available thing. And he already has his two bottom teeth. My boy also refuses to take water.

I'm thinking of weaning him from the breast soon. As I live very far from my parents, I'm thinking of letting him stay overnight with them for one or two nights. However, with this problem of the milk-bottle strike, I usually rush back to him straight after work to feed him. I kept worrying about him at work. And it's very difficult for my mom to care for him too, for he keeps crying and refuses to drink properly. What can I do? Please help!

Default Re: Desperate - Milk Bottle Strike!

Might he drink the milk from a cup? If you have a sippy cup with the valve removed, then the milk comes out easily without too much danger of spilling.

I'm sure this is stressful; I hope others will have some good ideas for you.

--Rebecca