Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constipated 9 month old

Default Constipated 9 month old

My 9 month old DD is constipated for the first time. I read up on it a little and I'm still sort of puzzled. She doesn't like baby cereal, so it can't be that, but she has recently started eating peaches... But peaches are supposed to fight constipation, right?
    She DOES however eat graham crackers (not all the time-just as a treat) and I know that they don't have a lot of fiber.
    She hasn't completed stopped "going." The last couple of days, her poops have been small and kind of hard--she seems to be in pain, too. I don't know if it's because she's teething or the constipation or both..
    If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Default Re: Constipated 9 month old

Has she cut back on her nursing? How are her wet diapers?

graham crackers are very constipating. I give dd ground pitted prunes or prune juioce mixed with avacado.

Her nursing and wet diapers seem to be ok. She has been nursing a little less lately because her new teeth are really hurting her.

Maybe try offering a little chilled ebm or water in a sippy or other cup. She might like the cold as it would soothe her gums, and the extra fluids should help with the constipation.

If she's nursing a little less she could be low on fluids. I think even a small change can make a difference. As pp's suggested you could try giving some water or ebm in a cup. From what I've read the fruits that are the most help with constipation are prunes and pears, with prunes being by far the most effective. It has to do with the type of sugar in the fruit I think. My DS eats a lot of bananas and so becomes constipated easily, but he does fine as long as he eats some pureed prunes regularly.