Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New, 1st time mommy, so many q's

Default New, 1st time mommy, so many q's

Hey,

I'm new here and I have SO many questions. I'm just going to write a summary here with some questions, they're not all relating to the subject "solids", but I hope someone can help me? I seem to be so insecure about this whole feeding thing! It might be long, sorry!

My daughter is 9 months old, 6.5 months adjusted - she was born 10 weeks premature. She is still only (almost) 12 lbs, and she has been on breastmilk (pumped, given to her in bottle) since she was born. Before last week's stomach bug, she took about 21 ounces a day in 5 or six feedings.Now the bug is gone, she's been drinking about 25 ounces. She feeds approx. every 3 hours, her last feeding being near 8 at night, right before she goes to bed. Her first feeding is either when she wakes up (if she sleeps through the night) around 7 or 8, or at about 4am.

Her ped. says introducing solids isnt nec. yet, his rhetoric is that 1000 yrs ago babies didn't get solids until they were 2? However, he says we can go ahead, and that her weight isn't an issue.

1. Today we introduced rice cereal to her. She probably had a tsp full and she didnt even seem to want to push it back - I don't know if she wanted to play with the spoon and just chew it (she has no teeth yet, and according to the ped, none are coming any time soon, though friends say the opposite, she chews and drewls like crazy), but she did well.
    Q: Is it ok? How much do I give her tomorrow? When do I introduce mushed bananas? Any good links on how much, how long, etc? The gerber site sayd babies should be 13 lbs and eating more than 32 ounces a day, she's nto anywhere near that, yet when I eat, she can't keep her eyes off of my food and mouth! Same when my husband eats.

2. The pumping has taken it's toll on me. I started out pumping at least 20 ounces every 3 hours (8 times a day) for the first few months (I was a cow!!) and am now down to pumping 3 times a day. I barely get enough for her, and now she's really increasing what she wants to eat! I can't and for my own health and sanity, do not want to start pumping more than I am (frequency), and am thinking I'm going to have to introduce her to formula soon (wish I didn't have to...)
    Q1: Can I mix formula with breastmilk?
    Q2: Can I feed her BM one feeding, formula the next etc.
    Q3: Is it true that with us introd. solids to her, if we now introduce formula to her she's going to get contipated. Is it too much change for her?
    Q4: Do you have to use boiled water to make form. or is bottled water ok? (spring water from walmart)?

3. I don't have enough BM for her today, so after we gave her the solids and I wanted to give her a bottle, I gave her some defrosted milk. I have a bunch of milk frozen BUT... the milk I defrosted is about 3 months old (was stored in medela bottle with yellow lid, the ones they give you in the NICU). When I tasted it it tasted like her dribble/spit up smells! My husband tried it (haha, what a guy!) and said it was ok, but i was sure it tasted kinda sour. I gave it to her anyways, she didn't seem to have a problem with it, but stopped at 2.5 ounces (because she had just gotten the little rice cereal). When I smelled the bottle and leftover milk afterwards, it was gross!!! I'm afraid I fed her bad milk.... (Oh, I mixed it with some refrig milk pumped this morning so it didn't taste so bad)
    Q: Do you think I did, and what will the consequences be?
    Q: How can my milk be bad??? (Regular freezer, on top of fridge/part of fridge, but with seperate door and all )

That's it for now... sorry for the long first post, and for all the different q's. I just feel really insecure, and like all of you I'm sure just want what's best for my baby. I know breastmilk is, and I have tried as long as I can, but I can't get back to pumping more frequently. (Each pumping session takes 30 mins at least, and my nipples have little red spots on em, I think I'm overdoing it??)

Thanks in advance for all your replies... (please keep in mind she's a preemie, and only 12 lbs/9 months old.)

Julia's Mommy
    Last edited by JuliasMommy; June 25th, 2006 at 05:32 PM.

Default Re: New, 1st time mommy, so many q's

Hi! welcome!
    1st congratulations to you on your baby and successfully pumping all this time.
    2nd How nice to have a pediatrician who is so supportive! That's great and he's right. Baby should get most of thier nutrients from breastmilk for the 1st year of life and babies can and are still today in less developed countries sustained on breastmilk alone for up to two years.
    Now I'm just going to tell you what my local LLL leader told me about bad milk. Which is most babies won't drink it. So if she drank it it was probably fine for her. However, frozen breastmilk is considered the most perishable. So depending on when you tasted it after she drank it, it may have gone bad it that short period of time. Rule of thumb on thawed breast milk is dump everything not drank immediately afterwards. Which is why they reccomend freezing in 1 or 2 oz increments so as not to waste. The thinking is you can always thaw out more if need be. So it should be fine. It can be frozen for up to six months. Last a week in the fridge and between 4 and 8hrs out fresh depending on the temp. My leader also told me to taste it myself so I know what it should taste like. But I don't know if I'm the best judge because if often tastes funny to me after it's been in fridge. But I trust her when she says my baby won't eat it if it's bad.
    I also would like to add that if your Pedi is not worried about your DD weight or how much she's eating/getting you shouldn't be. I wouldn't pay any attention to the Gerber sight as they are a baby food company and they're job is to make you trust them so you think your baby needs what they sell. She does not. In fact often here we see Mommies that are worried that they're babies aren't growing on the "right" curve because they charts that the Doctors offices use are made by baby food companies and those charts are not really for Breast fed babies. As long as you can breast feed her, fresh or frozen that's what's best. Formula is trying to mimic what you produce naturally. And your milk changes with your baby and is always the exact right food for her. So the solids can be a fun thing and a good thing so far as learning to chew and swallow ( if you can get them to do it! We tried mashed Bannas this week and my son promtly spit everything back out! I had to laugh! We'll try again next week with sweet potatoes.)But she should be getting most of her nutrition from you. Based on the amount you said you were pumping in the beginning is it safe to say you have a good amount frozen? And will she not eat directly from your breast? I am sorry if that's too personal a question it's just that we're always told that it's so much easier for a baby to drain a breast than a pump! Also I don't know exactly where but I know that when I was starting to want answers about food I found alot of anwers right here on this site outside the Mother to Mother forum. So if you just look around outside the Mother to Mother part I think there's a ton of info! Good luck!

DJ's mom, thank you SO much for reading through my long post! And for answering!

I hope my daughter didn't drink it cause I mixed it with good (fresher fridge) milk! Funny thing is that I just now fed her her last meal (she's finally snoozing ), and I had to defrost a bottle for that as well. This bottle was pumped 2 weeks ago and once it was defrosted and I tasted it, it tasted exactly like freshly (or refrigerated - the milk I pump doesn't sit longer it in the fridge, and if I decide I pumped enough to freeze some, I stick a bottle in the freezer right away) pumped milk! Yay!

So, does that mean my milk just doesn't last long in the freezer? The bottle this afternoon was nearly 3 months old and I am really starting to think was bad (my throat was even a little stingy after tasting it, it really must have been sour).

As far as your q - have I stored a lot - well, since I read breastmilk only stays good in the freezer for 3 months, I tossed pretty much all my milk. As i reduced the amount of pumping I did, my supply dropped (still had more than enough to feed her), meaning less to freeze. I also noticed I had a lot of hind milk (watery see through, almost greeny) and never froze that either. Then a month ago I was on a medication that was OK'd by the ped. - as in I could still breastfeed her, but because my supply was still more than enough, I didn't freeze any of those bottles (precaution). I've gone through a ton os stress lately and some issues, and now my supply has significantly diminished. I have 5 frozen bottles (all about 2.5 ounces each) that are less than a month old. The rest, 20 or so, date back to March and are probably as bad as the March bottle I took out this afternoon and was bad. (And then of course there are 100 bottles more than 4 months old that I need to toss and clean! )

Would you have any idea why 3 month old milk taste so sour? Maybe my milk doesn't keep that long in the freezer?

As far as her nursing from me: We tried, but I think the NICI got her hooked on bottles. I had to wear a nipple shield for a logn time, and she would only take a little bit (once she finally latched on), fuss, and not take any more. I would always have to resort to giving her the bottle, also just to know for sure how much she was taking.

You're right about those companies and their charts I know her PED has a good chart though. He says she won't catch up until she's 4 or 5, but she's healthy. Her stomach bug has been the only health problem (besides being diagnosed with Hydrocephalus following a brainbleed right after she was born), she's had since she's been home. Must be the breastmilk building her immune system!

I do think I will have to introduce her to formula. I just get discouraged reading how much better BM is though. Should she not have gotten most of it out of the BM now she is 9 months old?

Again, thanks for your reply and insight. It got me thinking and I will refer back to it.

Good luck with your little one
    Last edited by JuliasMommy; June 25th, 2006 at 07:20 PM.

Hi there,
    Wow, you are doing so well with your dd and pumping. Congratulations on making it this far!

I will try to answer a few more of your questions for you.

It sounds as though what you may be experiencing with your frozen milk is from high lipase activity in it. Please check these links to see if this may be what is going on.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug98p109.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html

I can understand that you are wearing down with the pumping. Since many moms introduce solids around 6 months and dd's adjusted age is just that, maybe you could look at the introduction of formula as just another "solid" that you are offering. That might make it a little easier for you to consider. By all mean, use ALL of your EBM up first before going on to the formula. That will give her the longest stretch possible on just BM. After you have no more EBM left than you might discuss with your ped. how you should go about preparing and giving formula. Sounds like he is pretty on-the-money with the food issues.

Here is some more info on starting solids:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMayJun99p86.html

Your are right that you have done well with giving her BM for so long. She has received great immunities and benefits-and not only that, but she has just been given the normal food for her! Way to go!

Let me know if you have more questions and how things are going.

LLLKate do you think she nneds to throw away all of her frozen milk that's more than 3 months old? I want to yell NOOO! Don't throw it away because I was told six months but since your here and you seem familiar with what she's talking about what about that? Does she need to dump her freezer?

Well, the guidelines are:

Human milk can be stored:

*at room temperature (66-72°F, 19-22°C) for up to 10 hours
    *in a refrigerator (32-39°F, 0-4°C) for up to 8 days
    *in a freezer compartment inside a refrigerator (variable temperature due to the door opening frequently) for up to 2 weeks
    *in a freezer compartment with a separate door (variable temperature due to the door opening frequently) for up to 3 to 4 months.
    *in a separate deep freeze (0°F, -19°C) for up to 6 months or longer.

Here is the link:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

So, as you can see, she was taking her information from this, which does state that milk should only be kept 3-4 months in the freezer compartment with a separate door, which is what she has.

Having said that, I'm not sure this is the issue with her milk. It sounds like it would happen anyway if it is due to Lipase activity.

I will wait to hear back...