Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Drying up

Default Milk Drying up

Hello all,

I have a wonderful 8 mo old beauty at home, but I am worried that my milk supply is drying up. I work 4 10-hour days a week, MTThF, and this morning when I pumped, I only got 3/4 oz. My supply has gradually decreased over the last 2-3 weeks, but I thought that may be due to Natalie eating more solid food. I pump 3 times during the day. When I am home, she nurses every 2-3 hours and she sleeps through the night. I am wondering if you have any ideas to improve my supply. I have also been having a lot of nipple pain lately with nursing, which my NP thinks is a yeast infection, though Natalie has shown no signs of thrush. I have been self-treating with Monistat around my nipples off and on since Thanksgiving, and it doesn't seem to be helping anymore. Is is possible that it isn't yeast? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Milk Drying up

Any chance you are pregnant? That could explain lower supply and nipple pain. Here's some info on other treatments for thrush. http://www.kellymom.com/newman/c-candida_protocol.html

Not really any likely chance that I am pregnant.

Have your nipples been hurting since before Thanksgiving?

And how often are you pumping/nursing in 24 hours?

I have had nipple pain since before Thanksgiving. The lactation consultants and my NP think it is a yeast infection and I have been treating it with Monistat to no avail. the symptoms get a little better, but they always come back. I am definitely not pregnant.

As far as nursing/pumping, I nurse 3-4 times a day and pump 3 times a day.

Thanks for the welcome and any ideas!

I too have a wonderful 8 month old and am experiencing a similar problem. I'm starting to worry that I will have to start buying formula. I pump twice a day (to cover each missed feeding) and he nurses 4 or more times in the evening and through the night. I'm not pregnant. What causes this low milk supply and what can I do to increase it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nate's Mommy View Post
    I too have a wonderful 8 month old and am experiencing a similar problem. I'm starting to worry that I will have to start buying formula. I pump twice a day (to cover each missed feeding) and he nurses 4 or more times in the evening and through the night. I'm not pregnant. What causes this low milk supply and what can I do to increase it?

What makes you think your milk production is low?

Here's a great information resource to start:
    www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

I made a post to you and it disappeared. Starting over...

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie'sMom View Post
    I have had nipple pain since before Thanksgiving.

The lactation consultants and my NP think it is a yeast infection and I have been treating it with Monistat to no avail. the symptoms get a little better, but they always come back. I am definitely not pregnant.
    My best suggestion is to call your IBCLC and NP and let them know that you are NOT getting better. There are more things that can be tried. Here is a great resource:
    www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVOctNov98p91.html
    And here's something that you might consider sharing with your NP:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/20fluconazole.html

Additionally, if your nipples aren't getting better after thrush treatments, you might consider:
    1) if anything mechanical could be causing the pain (baby's latch, your pump)
    2) a microrganism other than candida (yeast) could be to blame (you can have your nipples cultured to find the culprit)

As far as nursing/pumping, I nurse 3-4 times a day and pump 3 times a day.
    What type of pump do you have? How old is it? Does the motor sound worn down? Have the valves/membranes been checked for cracks?

Here is some information regarding decreased pump output:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

[QUOTE=home executive;410540]

What makes you think your milk production is low?

Thanks for the article. I know I have enough milk to nurse him at home and on weekends. My problem is that I only have two pumping opportunities at work. (I am away from my baby for 8 hours). When I pump I only get about 6 oz. total for the day. I cannot pump more often because of my work schedule. My frozen supply is almost gone. I am worried he won't have enough breastmilk for daycare.

Thanks for all of the information! I called my NP yesterday and got Diflucan, which I started last night for the nipple pain. I hope it works! As far as the pump goes, I haven't noticed the motor sounding as if it is wearing out. It is a pump that I borrowed from a friend (Medela pump in style), but it has worked great so far. The membranes all look good from what I can tell. I started taking fenugreek on Monday, and have doubled what I am pumping to about 7 oz a day instead of a paltry 3-4, but it is still about 1/2 of what I was getting 2 weeks ago. I hope this yeast infection isn't affecting my milk supply...