Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What contributes to early weaning?

Default Re: What contributes to early weaning?

My daughter weaned early - and I was at home with her, loved nursing and just couldn't convince her to keep going. She did use a pacifier and preferred it over nursing for comfort, but it was definitely her choice to stop nursing, I was so sad when I realized that she was essentially weaning herself. It wasn't a strike, it was very gradual, she just dropped a feeding here and there, started sleeping thru the night more and more and was done long before I was ready. It wasn't detached parenting. I was, if anything, more attentive with her than I was with my son (just because she was first, I had more ability to be there all the time) but my son is nineteen months and still nursing. I think introducing the pacifier probably contributed to it, but a lot of it was just personality type. Sam loves nursing, hates the pacifier and Jessie adored the pacifier and while still very close and attached to me, was done nursing before she was a year.
    Last edited by JessieandSamsMom; January 28th, 2008 at 10:16 AM.
    Melissa
    Mom to Jessica (2/7/03) breastfed for 8 months
    Sam (7/6/06) breastfed for three years, five months, two weeks and three days (not that I was counting or anything :-)
    Julianna (4/29/10) struggled thru nursing strike, nipple confusion, thrush, multiple cracks and fissures, a staph infection and then another bout of thrush, but happily nursing away
    www.cohenfamily-melissa.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by lunamoth View Post
    I had to "fight" Cora to stay at the boob for a while there...at about 9-10 months...it was when she started cruising and everything was oh-so-interesting and she had figured out how to slide down off my lap & the couch. I couldn't believe I was practically having to force her to nurse! She is very physically active and was far ahead on gross motor skills for a while there.

Took about a month to get through that stage. It was terrible while it lasted...I was so confused. I finally ended up figuring out to cut out that nursing session and replace it with a solids feeding...solved the problem. Now we nurse only when she REALLY REALLY wants it.,..before nap, before bed, and late in the afternoon when her energy is starting to sag.

I personally would hesitate to "judge" other moms by trying to explain their childs' behavior through their parenting & feeding methods, though....we need to support each other, not judge!

You're absolutely right. There are so many variables and each baby has their own temperment and requires a different parenting approach, so often it's a chicken and egg kind of thing... does she love the paci because she nurses less or does she nurse less because she loves the paci... Do they let him fuss a little at night because the kid is good at getting back to sleep or is the kid good at getting back to sleep because they let him fuss a little.. And it's just impossible to compare the inside of your family to the outside of someone else's family.

But still you've got me thinking about patterns... The two girls I referred to in my first post here, who weaned at 9 months, were VERY advanced gross-motor wise. The second child got her first tooth at 3 months and was walking by 9 months. My little breast lover was always a late bloomer in the gross motor department.

My booby-lover was walking at 9 months and still going strong BFing at 19 months.

I like your quote about comparing the inside of your family to the outside of another's. How very Dr. Phil of you!!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

It could BE a Dr. Phil quote for all I know. I don't watch Dr. Phil. I stole it from here or the Mothering forum... SOMEONE typed it somewhere a long time ago and it has stuck with me. It's so true though, isn't it?

Totally! Everyone always hears "well mine was sleeping through the night at X months" or whatever, and takes it at face value. But you really have no idea what that means unless you were in the house at the time.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Talking Re: What contributes to early weaning?

Quote Originally Posted by JessieandSamsMom View Post
    My daughter weaned early - and I was at home with her, loved nursing and just couldn't convince her to keep going. She did use a pacifier and preferred it over nursing for comfort, but it was definitely her choice to stop nursing, I was so sad when I realized that she was essentially weaning herself. It wasn't a strike, it was very gradual, she just dropped a feeding here and there, started sleeping thru the night more and more and was done long before I was ready. It wasn't detached parenting. I was, if anything, more attentive with her than I was with my son (just because she was first, I had more ability to be there all the time) but my son is nineteen months and still nursing. I think introducing the pacifier probably contributed to it, but a lot of it was just personality type. Sam loves nursing, hates the pacifier and Jessie adored the pacifier and while still very close and attached to me, was done nursing before she was a year.
    This sounds very similar to DD, who weaned herself (gradually) by 12.5 mos despite my best efforts to keep BF. I didn't give her a single bottle or a paci, and I always nursed her w/o delay whenever she wanted. She started sleeping through the night quite early, but I woke up at least once or twice each night to BF anyway. As soon as she became more mobile and distractible (around 9 mos.), I had to nurse her in a dark, quiet place. Near the end, when she was only nursing a couple of times a day, she would often push my breast away and suck her thumb instead. Although I was very committed to BF, I really had no choice but to honour her wishes.
    Last edited by new_mama; January 29th, 2008 at 08:47 PM.

Just a quick thank-you for all your awesome insights. It's true: You can't compare families! And I can't tell for sure what other moms' parenting techniques are just by observation, really.

Every baby is different. I am glad, though, to have some guidelines from LLL and kellymom for how to encourage extended nursing!

Thanks again, gals!