Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constantly nursing, how long should this last?

Default Constantly nursing, how long should this last?

My DS is 3.5 weeks old and nurses constantly. The longest he will go in-between nursing sessions is 1.5hrs but that usually only happens once at night otherwise we are having a full nursing session roughly every 45 minutes day and night often times much, much more often (like within 5 minutes of pulling off the breast). This has been going on for about 2+weeks, he was a real sleepy baby that first week. I'm going batty right now not having got more then 45 minutes of sleep at a time for more then 2 weeks and having a 23 month old who desperately wants some attention too.

How long does this last? It wasn't like this with my first DS. Also this baby isn't really gaining weight. He was 8lbs8oz at birth went down to 7lbs5oz in the hospital and at 2.5 weeks he was 8lbs11oz (but had a majorly full diaper as we were walking out of the doctor's office, so I'm guessing he was probably more like back to birth weight after the diaper).

He is cluster feeding like they do for a growth spurt but doesn't that usually only last for 2-3 days, not 2-3 weeks.

I'm taking domperidone, I did have supply issues with #1 (worked long and hard with the LC at the hospital and tried everything she suggested, herbs, extra pumping, breast shells for constant pressure, ect). But even that doesn't seem to be helping much.

Help, where do I go from here? I want to nurse my baby but I don't know if he is getting what he needs. I needed a little personal space/time so DH gave him a little formula the other night and he didn't like the bottles at all.

Default Re: Constantly nursing, how long should this last?

Catlover,
    You are to be commended for being so caring about your baby and his needs! I know it is tough to have a baby with high needs and also be caring for a toddler. My hat goes off to you!

You are right about growth spurts. They do typically only last for a couple of days.

From his lowest weight he has already gained almost a pound and a half in just over two weeks? That sounds very respectable to me. Are his diapers wet 5-6 times a day and does he have at least 3 BM's a day? If so then I would not think that you are having supply issues.

He is a very young baby and is doing his job to help establish a good milk supply by nursing a lot. I know this is probably little consolation to you, but some babies do nurse this frequently in the beginning. It will get easier!

In the meantime, do you have a sling or wrap in which you could carry him between feedings. By no means am I suggesting you NOT nurse him when he shows the need to nurse, but some moms have found keeping their babies close by during this time keeps them more contented and helps make nursing easier. It also helps with making care of younger siblings easier. You can check out slings and wraps in the LLL online catalogue.

HTH, let us know how you are doing!