Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: should my baby be nursing on both sides?

Default should my baby be nursing on both sides?

My ds is 1 week old. He only nurses on one side before he gets enough and falls asleep. He usually will sleep for a while and then wake up hungry and I will nurse him on the other side. He is making plenty of wet/poop diapers so I am not worried about him getting enough milk. Also, I think that he is getting enough on one side at a time because when we go to burp him he usually spits up a bit of overflow, sometimes enough to freak me out! I am a little concerned about the overflow, but he was born 10 days before my actual due date, so I think that he still has a little maturing to go with his stomach muscles.

I am not sure exactly what I am worried about, I am just a little worried. My dd would nurse on both sides and I don't recall her spitting up overflow at all.

Any encouragement would be great!! Most of the time that is all we need...

Default Re: should my baby be nursing on both sides?

My ds was born 3 weeks early, he spit up quite abit too. Wasn't worried cause my daughter did the same when she was a baby. I get the same thing you do, my ds would nurse just from one side, however never long enough to get to the hindmilk. So yes it is fine for them to just nurse from one side. All three of my children nursed one side the whole time that I nursed them. They gained weight, and in the end that's what matters.

Mother to
    Blake 05/30/02
    Hailey 10/02/03
    Cole 12/08/05

Sounds like you are doing fine! As the PP stated, it is perfectly normal to only nurse from one side during a feeding. In fact, it is important not to switch a baby before he is done with the first side. So you are doing the right thing by letting him finish and not worrying about putting him back on the other side.

As far as spit-up is concerned, you are right about his stomach. At one week of age a baby's stomach is just a little smaller than a ping-pong ball! That is why frequent, small feeds work so well. And if there is too much it will come back up! But take heart-it LOOKS like so much more than it is! He can spit up and still grow and thrive.

Keep up the good work!

my daughter is a week old as well and i was told to let her finish one side and burp her and offer her the second breast. sometimes she takes but majority of the time she does not.