Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: losing milk supply

Default losing milk supply

my baby is four weeks old and up until now i have had a great milk supply actually too much. the first few days i was so engorged and i had to pump. both times i got 15 oz. my breasts always felt hard or full so full i had to use a contact shield and would squirt her in the face. now they feel soft and she constantly wants to feed. i am afraid i am no longer producing enough to make her satisfied. i am a little stressed with having a 16 month old and getting no sleep. how can i regain my supply

Default Re: losing milk supply

Is she still wetting enough diapers? Maybe your supply just evened out. Newborns feed like crazy; it doesn't necessarily mean you're losing your milk. I should hope you don't feel super full and hard throughout your entire nursing relationship. How is the baby? Do you think maybe there's just a growth spurt coming up?

What you're describing sounds pretty normal to me. After a certain time period, your supply will naturally adjust to meet your baby's demand without leaving a lot of extra. And the feeding every hour definitely sounds like a growth spurt- something that usually happens between 2-4 weeks!

I would ditch the shield (if you haven't already- it can reduce stimulation and milk supply), rest whenever possible, and watch your baby's diaper output. Good diapers = good supply.

Hang in there and have faith in yourself!

thank you for responding. yes i ditched the shield i was only using it because in the beginning i was so full she couldn't latch on. i think she was going through a growth spurt because i seem to be feeding almost every hour. she is getting a wet diaper after i feed her i usually every three hours i change her. now i am going back to in 3 weeks and need to introduce her to a bottle. how many times a day should i introduce the bottle? how many times a day should i pump and when do i pump? thanks again

Hi!
    Having a toddler and a new baby is like woah! Way to go mama!
    So lets see, if you are headed back to work in three weeks I can understand your desire to make sure your baby will accept a bottle. Many babies will transition without a hitch. What type of bottle do you plan on introducing? How would you feel about waiting a week or so? Your baby is still very little(4 weeks) and nipple confusion/preference can happen when they are young. What sort of nipple/bottle system will you be using? Have a look here:http://www.lowmilksupply.org/nipples.shtml for bottles and nipple tips that are less likely to encourage a flow preference. A bottle is just so much easier than a breast! It requires muscle strength and active participation to get milk from a breast. Suction and compression play a part here.
    When you do introduce the bottle don't be surprised if baby doesn't accept it from you, they know you have the good stuff, and can object loudly. Try when baby is relaxed and not starving. A hungry baby is always less receptive. Do you have a family member that could help? I might try just once or twice, its really up to you mama. Once you see that baby can be successful at using a bottle, you could consider giving it a rest knowing in your heart that your baby won't starve itself. Your breastfeeding relationship will continue to be the most important thing in your baby's world so long as you both wish it. Nothing will replace you, especially not a bottle.

Having your special time together after work will be important to both of you and nursing allows you to reconnect and bond after hours of being apart.

If you are considering pumping now, start off small. I would be content with a single extra ounce in the beginning, and work my way up. When a mother is pumping in addition to nursing full time she is already making plenty of milk. Remember, easy does it!
    Last edited by carpentergirl; January 14th, 2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: spelling...

i can definitely wait a week i am in no hurry. i tried to give her a bottle once and she wanted no part of it from me but took it from my husband. that is why i decided to wait a little bit and she was only 4 weeks yesterday. so since i got her off the contact shield only yesterday i really don't want to rush anything. i am definitely enjoying this experience b/c my son never latched on so i pumped for 7 months. i am going to use the glass bottles by evenflo since i have been hearing so much about toxins being released in plastic ones.
    thanks for all of your help

So she already associates you with breastfeeding, thats great! Let dad try the bottle out if thats working. Now that you know she is able to use one, you must feel better. It is scary worrying about seperating from your baby and feeling stress over it.

so it turns out it was just her eating every hour from a growth spurt. my milk supply is back to normal. now i think i have an over active let down now that i know what it is called. the reason i used that contact shield in the begining was because i was always so full she wouldn't latch on. i used to squirt her in the face. well today it started happening again and every time she goes on the right breast she throws up. i started to use the contact again on the right side b/c i thought that would slow down the flow. however i fill the shield up in sec. would you reccommend just squirting into a towel when i feel the let down/ i really want to ditch the shield its a pain. and my 16 month old thinks its a binky and screams for it whenever i do have to use it. since he olny gtes a bink in his crib you can see the dilema.