Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need help!!!!

Default I need help!!!!

I need some help. I have been successfully breastfeeding my precious for 7 months, 2 weeks and 1 day, well, maybe for 7 months.

Okay, here's my problem. Katlynn seems like she doesn't want to nurse anymore. She has been so attached to me for so long that this is very alarming
    and discouraging for me. From the time she was about 3 months old, she would nurse a little bit and let go and look around. I just chalked that up to curiosity. Then a couple of weeks ago, she started this thing where she'll nurse for a minute exactly and try to sit up. I got my mom to watch her nurse(she successfully breastfed my sister and I and has been my reassurance this whole time) and she told me to sit her up beside me and let her nurse that way. Katlynn will nurse like that for a few more minutes and then get bored and want to get up. The only time I can get her to nurse her normal 20 minutes on each side is if we lay down in the bed.

Has this happened to anyone, or does anyone have any suggestions? Mama said it's too early for her to try to be weening herself, and I am not ready to give this up. PLEASE HELP!!!

Default Re: I need help!!!!

My DS did the same thing at that age. He was more mobile and just couldn't stand to sit still. Have you started solids yet? If so just make sure she is getting high calorie solids like avacado. Sometimes it would help if I just went topless and got on the floor while he played. He would come over nurse for a few seconds, go play, come back and nurse, go play etc. It was like no pressure nursing for him.

I wouldn't worry to much, she should settle back down in a few weeks.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

My DD is 9 1/2 months old and she does the same thing. I usually will offer her the same breast 20-30 minutes later to make sure she gets the hind milk after she only nurses for a few minutes. If she does the same on and off thing again, then I offer her the same breast again. I usually stick to the same breast for 2 1/2 hours to make sure she gets the hind milk. It is hard when they get mobile because they are so interested in everything else. You can always try the dark quiet room to see if that will help. I have done it a few times and it always seems to help. Good luck!

My dd is 7.5 months and she does this too.. I don't think she is self weaning. She is very attached to breastfeeding and even though most of time she nurses for less than 3 min I think she is getting enough and she will often nurse every hour or so during the day. Just go with the flow and keep offering the breast- She will probably take what she needs. They get to be very effeceint nursers the older they get. I nurse her on the same side for 2-3 nursing sessions and then switch.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

ohh I wanted to mention.. dd NEVER nurses for more than 3-4 min except for in the morning and right before bed. I doubt you will find many 7 month olds nursing for 20 min at every feeding.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

My 8.5 month old nurses for about 5 minutes, tops, at a time. Sometimes less. But she is still nursing strong and growing and developing just fine. Just keep making it available, and she'll be ok. It could be that she's just gotten much more efficient at getting the milk out, too, and so doesn't need to go as long.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Ive read others mothers also suggest waiting until they are a little more tired to nurse them so they are less likely to know/want to know whats going on around them! My best feeds are the first two in the morning when she falls back to sleep in my bed with me!! (most of the time!)
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

When I was nursing my daughters, my doctor told me that an effecient breastfeeder can empty a breast in 7 minutes.