Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do herbals work for milk supply?

Default Do herbals work for milk supply?

I am still having problems with my milk supply ....I called my local LL and she told me to first try getting an herbal remedy from Good Earth that will supposedly help my supply. Has anyone tried this and found long-term results? Everything I've read so far says herbal remedies seem to help for only short term.

I'm about at the end of my rope and am about to just give into supplementing with the bottle until my milk is gone. I have tried all the advice everyone has given me like wearing my baby and nursing while lying down and etc. (Thank you, btw!) I feel like my baby has a good latch cuz she drains my breasts at each feeding, there's no leaking, and my nipples aren't sore. She pulls off and cries and cries after almost every feeding. I don't think it's gas cuz i've noticed when it's gas that she arches her back and pulls her feet/legs into her stomach whereas when she wants more milk and I don't have as much as she'd like she just pulls her head away and balls her fists up and screams. When I have given her a bottle a few times and she takes 2-3 oz each time and then she's content and I can enjoy her! My husband and I might be done after this child so I'd really like to enjoy her, ya know, just in case I never get to have a newborn again. I'd like to enjoy this phase of her life.
    Last edited by determined2bf; January 13th, 2008 at 03:36 PM.

Default Re: Do herbals work for milk supply?

How old is your baby? There are certain ages where babies seem to go through phases of non-stop nursing. Is it possible that she is going through a growth spurt?

Fenugreek is the most popular herb. To increase supply, most moms take 3, 3 times a day. Mother's Milk Tea is also very popular.

Loving my Beautiful High Needs Baby Girl born 12/28/06

Hi!
    What have you tried so far to increase you milk? Lets see if there isn't anything we have left out.

Increasing your milk supply is for the most part dependent on removing more milk, and giving your body enough time to understand what you are asking of it. Herbal supplements can be used when altering breastfeeding patterns has been exhausted.

I urge you to consult your doctor before trying supplements because of adverse reactions. For example Fenugreek can lower blood sugar and can decrease cholesterols in some women. It is good to review taking herbal galactogogues with a physician.

It's not herbal, but have you tried oatmeal? It does the trick for me if my supply seems low. Everyone's different, but I know some mamas really swear by it for supply issues.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

That's a good idea. Have you looked at your diet?

I'm so sorry you are going through this

There was a time when my supply was going down and I started drinking TONS more water and taking Fenugreek and it definitely did the trick. I think it was mostly the water, for me water was and is key for me keeping my supply up. I really hope things get better for you.

Here is a link for Fenugreek. If it works you can stop taking it when your milk is where you want it. http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html

GL

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by baby girl's mom View Post
    How old is your baby? There are certain ages where babies seem to go through phases of non-stop nursing. Is it possible that she is going through a growth spurt?

Fenugreek is the most popular herb. To increase supply, most moms take 3, 3 times a day. Mother's Milk Tea is also very popular.
    My baby is just over 4 weeks old/exactly a month today. She's been doing this for over 2 weeks now...I still haven't gotten the herbs yet cuz I have been reading the side effects and don't want to go thru that.

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    I'm so sorry you are going through this

There was a time when my supply was going down and I started drinking TONS more water and taking Fenugreek and it definitely did the trick. I think it was mostly the water, for me water was and is key for me keeping my supply up. I really hope things get better for you.

Here is a link for Fenugreek. If it works you can stop taking it when your milk is where you want it. http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html

GL
    Drinking a TON of water does seem to help a lot, actually! Thank you! But still not enough- I hope I can build my supply up and it's not too late!

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    That's a good idea. Have you looked at your diet?

I feel like such a pig! I am still taking my prenatals and I eat 3x a day and snack. Even though I don't have much of an appetite, I still eat as much as possible and I think I have a well-balanced diet. When I bf I actually feel nauseous so I have to wait a while after bfing to eat and it makes eating well hard sometimes when she wants to nurse all day....

Quote Originally Posted by Haley's Mama View Post
    It's not herbal, but have you tried oatmeal? It does the trick for me if my supply seems low. Everyone's different, but I know some mamas really swear by it for supply issues.

I'll try oatmeal for breakfast tomorrow morning!!! I'll get back to you on that one, thanks!