Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desperate for some help!!!

Unhappy Desperate for some help!!!

I have a couple of issues going on with bf my 3 week old son. We both have thrush, at least I think we still both do...his is no longer in his mouth, but he still has the diaper rash...and my nipples still burn. A lactation consultant I met with said that he will have to "grow into" my nipples, as he is latching well, they are just too big for him. SO, feeding his is very painful at this point due to my cracked nipples. A white patch forms a line across the one nipple when he is done and appears to be dried up skin; I think he clamps a little on this one to make it fit. The other nipple has the lipstick look when he is done, so I know it is not in there as it should be, but when I get it in right to start, he shifts around until it is where he wants it and it doesn't matter how many times I relatch him on. We give him a bottle of expressed milk once a day to make sure my breasts get emptied and give my nipples a break. I bf my 3 year old daughter and had no problems what so ever. I am getting really frustrated and emotional about the whole thing because I really want this to be a pleasant experience like it was for my daughter. I thought about meeting with the lactation consultant again, but I don't know what else she will be able to do. I use lanolin and nystatin right now and just purchased breast shells yesterday to let my nipples get air without irritation. I am just looking for anything that I have not already tried at this point. Also, I gave my breasts a few day break a few days ago and he only had bottles. I feel achy when he is only breastfeeding, but not when he was taking the bottles. That is the only symptom I have of an infection and hope I don't have one b/c then I would need an antibiotic that would make the thrush worse!! I'm sorry I am rambling and would REALLY appreciate anything I have not tried. I just keep thinking...so how long will it be before he "grows into" them and keeps it where I put it as I am crying during many of his feedings. Also, he is quite gassy and spits up a lot...but seems to be gaining well at this point. He gained a lb in his first week, but we haven't had another check up since.
    Any different ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Default Re: Desperate for some help!!!

cracks can take a while to heal.
    Kelly moms has a great page of things to try to make it beter
    has the baby been checked for tounge tie? SOmetimes that will cause cracks on moms nipples. ARe both cracked?
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...lehealing.html

I know how you feel. I am a first time mom and wanted the "perfect breastfeeding experience". My LO and I got thrush when she was 6 weeks old. She just screamed when she nursed, and I hurt all the time. I started pumping then, just until we both cleared up, but then I got an infection and we kept pumping. Now she will be 4 months old on Wednesday and we are still pumping.

I am still trying to get her back on the breast, but she screams when I try, and I know that even without the enjoyment I got out of nursing, she is still getting the best thing I can give her. I think now I do have the "perfect breastfeeding experience", because she is growing great and still getting my milk.

No matter what happens, everyone's "perfect breastfeeding exerience" is different!!

Sorry I had no advice, just
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

I apologize in advance if this gets long! I dealt with the same issue when DD was little, and pumped and gave a bottle also to get some relief. The reason you're getting the lipstick lines is definitely because he isn't latched on deep enough. Something you can try is telling him "open wide" and then showing him how before he latches on. I also recommend getting him checked for tongue-tie. Another thing that could be causing the problem is the bottles. We had nipple confusion because of it for weeks until we switched bottles. What worked for us was the Playtex NaturaLatch bottles. And definitely use slow-flow nipples, because my LO got too lazy to nurse because the bottle was easier. Is it possible you have OALD (over-active letdown)? Your LO could be clamping down on your nipples in an effort to slow the flow and make it manageable to him to handle. Try leaning back when you are nursing, so gravity helps slow things down. What can also help is to unlatch him when your milk lets down, let it spray off into a towel, and then relatch him when it slows down. Hang in there! It took a while for us too, but we got it eventually, and so will you! I know it feels like forever right now to think of even another week, but you can make it, one nursing at a time!

Oh, and get some acidophilus (sp?) for the thrush (the kind that needs to be refrigerated is supposed to be the best), especially if you wind up having to take antibiotics!

I think that the lactation consultant I met with a coupld weeks ago checked him for tongue-tie, but I am not positive. I am trying the open wide...no progress yet. He is so used to forming that darn lipstick shape at this point that it doesn't matter how many times I detach and relatch him in a right position; he always moves it back. I stopped the bottles altogether the day I wrote the message, hoping that would help, but it hasn't so far. I can't seem to get comfortable in any new feeding positions, but I would like to try something different that may be able to retrain him. Any suggestions on how to get comfortable? I can't even really make the football hold work and he "lipsticks" in that position as well. Thanks for all the support; reading these replies and that others have similar struggles is what is keeping me going at this point!!!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...resources.html

here are some resources for latching...
    sometimes it helps to look at clips of other moms and babies
    check out dr nemans clips the link is about 1/2 way down the page.

Baby is gaining wieght well and thats great, thats one thing that is going well
    ITs ok also to take what ever your doctor says is ok for pain.

One more thing! About the breast pain...could this be related to constantly shifting him around and doing breast compressions because it doesn't appear that there are any hard spots or plugged ducts at this point causing it, but they are just sore....that along with my extremely tender nipples mean that nothing can touch my breasts at this point!! When my 3 year old hugs me, I have to position her right in the middle, so it doesn't hurt! Can this be normal for everything going on with the bf?? Thanks again so much!

thrush can be painfull if its in your milk ducts.
    It can take a while to heal and feal beter.
    were you treating for the thrush?
    have you had the pain all along?

Yes, I've had the pain almost the whole time as the other problems. We were given Nystatin for my nipples and his diaper rash and the oral suspension for his mouth. His mouth has cleared up and his diaper rash appears to be getting better. I can't tell at this point whether my pain is more related to tha latch on problems or if the thrush is still part of it!