Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: can we eat peanut butter while BF??

Default can we eat peanut butter while BF??

I read somewhere that we're not supposed to eat PB while BFing (at the risk of introducing peanut allergies in the baby?), but can't remember the source so I can't research the validity of it...

What do you know about this??

Default Re: can we eat peanut butter while BF??

I'm not sure...but I will tell you I've had no problems. I eat a PB&J almost everyday I'm working. Fast, easy to make, travels well (especially since I eat it in the car on the way home at lunch to nurse DD)!
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Okay, I promise I'm not being an alarmist here...just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. We have no family history of any food allergies. I ate PB like a dog during pregnancy and BF'ing our 1st. He nursed until 17 m.o.

At about 25 months, we gave him some PB and he had mild allergic reaction. I have no idea if it's related to my eating the stuff, or just some crazy thing...but I'm not eating it this time around while nursing our girl. I guess this is what you call anecodotal and not evidence-based research, but it was enough to change my eating since it doesn't seem that the evidence tells us what's for sure about this quite yet. And it'll be worth it to me to not have to think about 2 kids with a peanut allergy.

I think the American Pediatric Association just came out last week or so to say that pregnant women should not worry that what they eat during pregnancy will cause allergies in their LOs. There must be some evidence behind it, but what I read was on yahoo news, so not many details. One thing it did say was that they wanted to alleviate the guilt many moms feel about what they ate and what it might have done to their baby.... The other thing it said was that breastfeeding is the best way to prevent allergies in LOs!!!
    I had gestational diabetes, so PB and other nuts were a lifesaver for me while I was PG
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

I have read that it is more of a problem if your family already has a history of the allergy!! I also have it almost every day-love it so much!!! I hope what I said is true, I would be so sad (my hus and I love the stuff) if we had a child that couldnt have it!!!!
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

FWIW, visit the allergy forum they are the ones who should truly know. i am a mother of a multi allergy baby. and was told that all prego and bf mamas(especially those with a family history of asthma and allergies including food and airborne allergies) should avoid the top 8 allergens-dairy, soy,egg,wheat,peanut,treenut,seafood, and shellfish. and i was advised to go on the diet again if i was to become preggers again. my understanding is that it helps prevent a childs allergy or atleast help it not to become a life threatening one. if bf or prego mamas cant do the top 8 avoidance just to do the ones that can be life threatening-nuts and seafood /shellfish. our ped recommends ALL children avoid nuts until after 3 yrs, allergy or not. but again head over to the allergy forum for other mamas advise who have been there.