Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm New!

Default Re: I'm New!

Congrats on bringing your new baby home!

Breastfeeding? You can do it!

What do you need help with? Are you having problems with the shield? Can you describe what is happening?

As for soreness from the circ, could you try nursing a position that has less stress on his diaper region? The football hold or side lying are two that come to mind.

Are you working with an IBCLC? Have you called your local LLL Leader for support?

I HATE THE NIPPLE SHIELD! I hate it so much that I don't even try to put him to breast that much, I've even tried not using the shield and he just doesn't get it. He did nurse for 10 minutes today though. I am still pumping. I rented a Medela pump from the hospital 65 bucks a month, but I want him to have my breast milk and I will pay whatever price I have to. DS now weighs 5 lb 13 oz and he's 19 in long growing well. His bilirubin is still a 12, but the dr told me it will probably stay that way since he's getting BM

I just got out of the hospital myself. I started running a fever of 103.5 for two days and I got Mastitis. They thought I had a kidney infection, but I didn't. I have to go see a neuro because I'm having these headaches that won't go away and it hurts in my neck and the whole back of my head and I have these spells where I get completely disoriented and can't focus on reading anything and I can't walk straight... I'm just falling to pieces LOL

One question though... DOES IT GET ANY EASIER?! I'm taking care of TWO kids under the age of 2 and I feel like I'm a crazy person!!

do you normally get migraines?

My son was born at 35 weeks and had to be in the NICU for 6 days with really bad jaundice. I pumped like crazy and brought in my milk for him and he did great. He recovered fully from the jaundice after having to be put under the special lights. He also was on an IV for the 1st 3 days but now he is nearly 4 months old and is doing great
    Amanda

Mommy to my preemie prince Alexander Warren born at 35 weeks 6 days
    on 9/27/07 at 9:02PM Via C-section
    Birth Weight/Length - 5lbs 8oz, 18" long
    Current Weight/Length at 3 years old - 34lbs, 38 inches tall.

Mommy to my little princess Abigail Rose born at 38 weeks 3 days on 11/06/09 @ 6:51PM Via C-section.
    Birth Weight/Length - 6lbs, 19 inches
    Breastfeeding and doing great!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBoruff View Post
    I HATE THE NIPPLE SHIELD! I hate it so much that I don't even try to put him to breast that much, I've even tried not using the shield and he just doesn't get it. He did nurse for 10 minutes today though. I am still pumping. I rented a Medela pump from the hospital 65 bucks a month, but I want him to have my breast milk and I will pay whatever price I have to. DS now weighs 5 lb 13 oz and he's 19 in long growing well. His bilirubin is still a 12, but the dr told me it will probably stay that way since he's getting BM

I just got out of the hospital myself. I started running a fever of 103.5 for two days and I got Mastitis. They thought I had a kidney infection, but I didn't. I have to go see a neuro because I'm having these headaches that won't go away and it hurts in my neck and the whole back of my head and I have these spells where I get completely disoriented and can't focus on reading anything and I can't walk straight... I'm just falling to pieces LOL

One question though... DOES IT GET ANY EASIER?! I'm taking care of TWO kids under the age of 2 and I feel like I'm a crazy person!!

It sure would be hard to deal with a nipple shield with all else that's going on right now re: your health (when did the headaches start?) and two little ones! But I am wondering if you were given the right size shield and/or instructed on how to use it properly -- there's a "trick" to getting it on deep enough. Were you taught how to turn the shield almost inside out (to look like a Mexican hat) and then center on the nipple and smooth out? (Draws the nipple in much deeper.) I find a 20mm shield usually seems to work best for a newborn over 5 or so lb without being too small for mom. A 16mm is for little prems but often too small for mom to feel comfortable; a 24mm may cause baby to gag.) )Here's the link to a good instruction sheet; however, the photos I usually see there aren't showing up on my computer -- let us know if that happens to you:
    http://www.medela.com/tips-and-solut...nipple-shields A shield really can help when a premie's still a bit orally disorganized, which is common -- but they improve with a bit of time. To try to move past the shield, check out (or google) baby-led latching/baby-led attachment at breast. There are links to several spots at: http://www.ohiobreastfeedingalliance...esources.shtml -- scroll down to Other BF Resources and you’ll see baby-led latch; the first couple probably will be more helpful.

The first thing that I thought of when I read your post is that breastfeeding is probably less the issue, although it's getting mixed up in it; sounds as if having a newborn and a toddler while still needing to recuperate oneself is more the issue.

Do you have some physical household and/or toddler helper? You really need some physical help and moral support so you can get well and take care of your babies.

It will get easier as you feel better and your newborn matures a bit... Please take care of yourself and let others mother you so you can mother your little one.

Keep us posted...

The headaches started last Thursday. My MD gave me fioricet and it helps a lot. I don't usually get headahces.. I just wonder if it's from the Epi... THAT DIDN'T WORK!
    The only help I have is when my husband comes home from work. I feel like I'm doing this all on my own and it's so hard, but I know it will get easier.
    I think i'm using the 24 mm shield.. My LC taught me how to use it and clean it and what not, I just hate it. DS gets frustrated and then I get frustrated, but I'm trying. I'm still pumping 500 times a day and have enough milk to feed an army of babies, so I'm not worried. I know everything will work itself out.
    Thanks for the links I will check those out, but when can I stop using the shield?

Glad to hear from you again!

I couldn't give you an accurate "when" date for the shield, but I can say for sure that your baby won't need this assistance forever. This web page offers some practical information for weaning from the nipple shield:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html

DOES IT GET ANY EASIER?! I'm taking care of TWO kids under the age of 2 and I feel like I'm a crazy person!!
    Yes it does get easier and dont give up. You are doing sooooo great! I had a flat nipple and used the shield for a little while. I didnt like it either and just put him to the breast as much as possible. I didnt technically have a premiee but he was born at 37 weeks and was 6.1 He took an hour to nurse in the beginning and it was very hard. I pumped after every nursing session to keep up supply. And it just took a while for him to learn how to manipulate my boob to get the milk. He will do it - just give it time. And the nipple will begin to protrude more (if that is the problem you are having). The pumping will help and just get him on the boob as much as you can. I know how frustrating it can be. Just remember to be patient and calm - play soothing music. He can sense if you are tense and he will tense up too. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBoruff View Post
    The headaches started last Thursday. My MD gave me fioricet and it helps a lot. I don't usually get headahces.. I just wonder if it's from the Epi... THAT DIDN'T WORK!
    The only help I have is when my husband comes home from work. I feel like I'm doing this all on my own and it's so hard, but I know it will get easier.
    I think i'm using the 24 mm shield.. My LC taught me how to use it and clean it and what not, I just hate it. DS gets frustrated and then I get frustrated, but I'm trying. I'm still pumping 500 times a day and have enough milk to feed an army of babies, so I'm not worried. I know everything will work itself out.
    Thanks for the links I will check those out, but when can I stop using the shield?

Wonder if you're right about those headaches. Is there no one who can help you out a bit with things around your house, play with your toddler, etc.?

Can you call the LC and ask her about getting a 20mm shield to try? Wonder if your DS would get less frustrated with a smaller shield...

Your right -- if keeping milk production up via pumping, you and your DS have plenty of time for him to mature and you both to learn to work together as a BF team. Hope the links help -- He'll let you know when he's getting it without the shield!

Hang in... and try to think of some possible helpers! Take care of you too!