Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help! is anyone around? I'm afraid my milk will be gone by morning

Default help! is anyone around? I'm afraid my milk will be gone by morning

Hi--sorry for the desperate tone, but I'm losing hope.

My 3-month-old premie has very bad reflux, so most of our feedings end in crying fits. Until recently he'd spend about ten minutes on the breast before melting down and I'd give him a couple of ounces of EBM in a bottle (and then pump to make up the difference) so that he would at least have had enough to eat. He's fed on one breast at a time.

But now I can't make up the difference with pumping, and there's less and less milk in my breasts. I can't count on the baby to drain my breasts, but pumping is clearly messing with my supply. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Default Re: help! is anyone around? I'm afraid my milk will be gone by morning

Quote Originally Posted by tralala View Post
    Hi--sorry for the desperate tone, but I'm losing hope.

My 3-month-old premie has very bad reflux, so most of our feedings end in crying fits. Until recently he'd spend about ten minutes on the breast before melting down and I'd give him a couple of ounces of EBM in a bottle (and then pump to make up the difference) so that he would at least have had enough to eat. He's fed on one breast at a time.

But now I can't make up the difference with pumping, and there's less and less milk in my breasts. I can't count on the baby to drain my breasts, but pumping is clearly messing with my supply. Any suggestions?

Thank you!
    You can't depend on the output of pumping to track your supply. For example you may only pump 1oz but that does not mean your supply is low. If your LO in gaining weight and you have a significant amount of wet diapers then your LO is getting nourished. Pumping does help keep your supply up even though it seems as if you are not getting the output you expect.

Here is an article from Kellymom.com that addresses reflux and other information http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

HTH!
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

If pumping is not working for you, could you try manual expression? Some women find that more effective. I'll see if I can find directions unless someone posts them before me.

Try this link for video on hand expression http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...xpression.html. I didn't embed it so you can see where it is, and have a look around.

As per the book "The Nursing Morthers Comapnion" By Kathleen you can measure the production of milk by expressing in the morning both breast at the same time then express again in exactly 2 hours the amount that you got the second time multiply by 12 the result will be your total production in 24 hours.... if you think your pump its not expressing all your milk pump 1/2 hour after you pump if you get more then 1/2 oz your pump its not getting all your milk out.... as other posters said manual expression its great if you do manual expression after you pump it might increase your supply c/s you will be sure your breast are empty....

Just a note here that what a mother pumps is NOT a good indicator of overall milk production. There is no accurate way to measure how much a mother makes with a pump as there are so many factors that can affect how well a pump works for a particular mother, and also how well a mother responds to a pump.

Is he feeding less frequently or effectively or is this purely an issue with what you can pump?

Are his diapers still the same (# of wets/dirties)?

What type of pump do you have? Is it still working effectively? Are any of the parts worn (such as the valves/membranes)? How does the motor sound?

Are you in contact with an IBCLC or your local LLL Leader?

Is he still crying after feeding just from the breast? If not then he may be satisfied and not need the additional EBM. I would see if you could discontinue the bottle and just nurse more frequently.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

The lactation consultant at my hospital told me when I first started pumping that if you pump incorrectly it can actually decrease your supply. Before I knew what I was doing, I pumped my left breast really hard, much harder than - and completely unlike - my baby nurses, to squeeze the milk out as efficiently as possible. I quickly noticed that my baby immediately started strongly preferring the right breast and it took a few days for the left breast to recover.