Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm New!

Red face I'm New!

Hi Ladys! I am new to this forum My name is Ashley, I'm 20 years old and I have a wonderful husband and one beautiful daughter and one newborn infant boy currently in the NICU. I am breastfeeding [well pumping like crazy]. Hopefully I can find some really good advice here and feel comfort from other moms.
    My son was born Jan 4th at 34 wks gestation. He's had breathing problems and was on IV and oxygen, He's now having some majot Jaundice problems and I'm having trouble understanding why his Billirubin will not go down. He's eating VERY well and has only had 1 CC of formula since he was born. Is it my breastmilk? I've been told that breastmilk will help it go down and it did for 1 day and now it's shot up to a 14. Please help me.

Default Re: I'm New!

I just wanted to welcome you! I think its great that your able to pump for your little one. I do know that BM is the best for a newborn and will help with the Jaundice problems I am not sure why its gone up, maybe someone who has had that problem with their premies can help. I think you should just keep doing what you are doing, its sounds like your doing a good job as your little one is getting the best thing you can give him. Give it time, I'm sure it will go down.
    Kim

Claire 08/27/06 7lbs 11 onces 21 in.
    Addison (Addi) 10/17/08 8lbs 11 ounces 21 in.

I want to say congratulation with your newborn... I am a mother of a preemie, I didnt have jaundice problems with her but I defenetly know its not your breast milk... in fact breast milk its the best you can give to your premmie.. also breast milk with help your baby get rid of the jaundice... I am sure your baby is getting treatment at the NICU (I mean with the light that they put 24/7 for them)... while my baby was in the NICU other babies were experiencing problems with jaundice and it was highly recomended that they kep breastfeeding their babies... some babies got rid of it in days others in weeks... remember that not all babies are the same... just live one day at the time and talk to the nurse in charge or the neonathologist about the status of your baby ... give lots of skin contact to your baby and give him lots of love... show him that you are there for your baby.... keep us posted...

Hope your baby is doing well, keep us updated. Keep up the good work! I am sure the jaundice will get better. Is he under lights?

Hi Ashley!
    That's great that you're breastfeeding/pumping your LO . My DS was born at 35 weeks and also had problems with jaundice, in fact it was the thing that kept us from leaving the NICU. Is your LO under the UV lights? DS was under them every other day (he'd get better, then when they turned the light off he'd get worse) for almost a week.
    Your breastmilk is likely not the cause of the jaundice and is definately helping him get well. Here's a link about jaundice and breastfeeding l. It took awhile for DS's levels to go down despite being constantly breasfed, and he was still a little yellowish when we left the hospital (he had to return as an outpaitent once). But he's now a happy and healthy 6 1/2 mo!
    As the PPs say, kangaroo care is great. And if you can do stuff for your LO, then try to get involved with his care as much as you can (which can be harder since you have an older one too).
    Take care!
    Mellie
    mama to
    DS June 2007
    DD1 April 2009
    DD2 April 2011

Congrats on your little one! My son was in the NICU for his first week because of breathing problems (though he was full term) and he was borderline jaundice. The doctor told us that billirubin levels change over time in something of an arc, so it is not unusual for them to go higher for awhile, even if they are being treated. Don't despair, and keep providing that breastmilk!

Also, do take advantage of chatting with all of us NICU graduate moms -- NICU can really take a toll on your physical and emotional energy, and getting support from others who have been there is so valuable, during and after!

Best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBoruff View Post
    Hi Ladys! I am new to this forum My name is Ashley, I'm 20 years old and I have a wonderful husband and one beautiful daughter and one newborn infant boy currently in the NICU. I am breastfeeding [well pumping like crazy]. Hopefully I can find some really good advice here and feel comfort from other moms.

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBoruff View Post
    My son was born Jan 4th at 34 wks gestation. He's had breathing problems and was on IV and oxygen, He's now having some majot Jaundice problems and I'm having trouble understanding why his Billirubin will not go down. He's eating VERY well and has only had 1 CC of formula since he was born. Is it my breastmilk? I've been told that breastmilk will help it go down and it did for 1 day and now it's shot up to a 14. Please help me.
    No, it's not your breastmilk.

Do you have any specific questions? Do you have lactation support at your hospital or are you in touch with your local LLL Leader?

How are things going now?

Update:
    DS is home! After 11 days in the NICU he is finally home. His Bilirubin was 9.6 when he was discharged yesterday, I had to take him to the doctor today, I haven't got the results from that bili count yet.
    I am still pumping/BF I'm having trouble putting him to breast. I don't know if it's because I'm scared I'm going to hurt him or because he was circed yesterday. I need some pointers... I have the nipple shield and I hate it.. how can I make things better? I am determined I'm going to breastfeed him and I don't want to give up!!

Congrats on making it home. My preemie was born 1 day shy of 34 weeks and was in the NICU for 8 days, home 4 weeks now. I have started trying to BF her in the NICU, using the shield. I'm not a fan of it but it is the only thing that worked. Sometimes she latches right on, other times it takes a few minutes, which feel like hours, before she will settle down and start to feed. It's hard work but don't give up.

Hi Mama! Thats great news to have your baby home! Wonderful!

What part of latching on is making you unsure? It can feel scary when they are tiny and seem so delicate. Thats great you are pumping, you are staying on top of it mama! How often are you pumping?

Does your baby root around for a nipple? Are you doing kangaroo care? Tell us what you have tried so far.

* My experience with circ was that we made sure he had a dab of ointment on the tip and were gentle with him. Really the truth is that a breast will make your baby feel better about anything. Go ahead and try and latch him on mama!