Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Why won't she eat more?

Default Why won't she eat more?

DD is almost 13 1/2 mos. and barely eats solids. And when I say barely, I mean it. Today she ate about 4 bites of scrambled egg with salsa for breakfast, nothing else for the rest of the day until dinner when I fixed her favorite (chicken pasta primavera) where she ate perhaps 1 1/2 tbs. of chicken and veggies. This is totally normal for her too. Anywhere from 2 tbs. to 1/4 cup of food ALL DAY. It's made more difficult by the fact that she will only eat foods that she can self-feed, and hates to touch things that are "slimy" or "messy". For example, if I slice a banana, she won't eat it, but if I break it apart, she will. The last couple of days she has been nursing like a newborn, every 1 1/2 -2 hours all day and night (with the exception of a 3 hour stretch one night) and seems to have backed off from solids even more. There is no pressure on her to eat. She has to sit in her chair while I eat, and we put food in front of her, but we do not try to force or coerce her to eat at all, nor do I stare at her or anything wierd. She's anemic and we're working on getting her iron back up right now, but it's a struggle, because I can't do it with diet because she won't eat, but the drops are slowing down her digestion, and I can't get her to eat much fiber, so I'm hesitant to give the full dosage recommended. How do I get this kid to be interested in solids? Can it really all be from the anemia? I wasn't really worried about it before, but reading some threads recently about how much other LOs her age are eating, I'm just astounded how much less she is eating than they are.

Default Re: Why won't she eat more?

Will ate barely anything today.

When you talk about the iron diet can you explain it more? Are you drinking any caffeine yourself?

Will is about to crack a bazillion molars through and it has increased his desire to nurse. I got up every. hour. last. night. WHEW!

When do you retest hemoglobin?

As far as her diet goes lately, iron-wise she will only eat chicken, eggs if they have salsa, and a very modest amount of beans, sweet potatoes, and her o's (which are high in iron). She repeatedly refuses all other high-iron foods that we have tried. I am trying to offer them with things high in vitamin C and low in calcium and fiber (which I try to offer at other snacks/meals) But as I said, she eats only modest amounts. So now with the iron drops, I'm not giving her any cheese or bananas and trying to increase her fiber intake to ward off constipation. She won't do prune juice (or any juice for that matter) or cut up prunes, and again, the small amounts of veggies I mentioned above, although she will eat broccoli like it's going out of style on occassion. I have Dr. Sears Family Nutrition Book and am doing my best to follow all the recommendations, but it seems like the foods she NEEDS are not the foods she WANTS. She'll eat cheese until the end of time, but obviously that's not something I can give her too much of, given our other needs, KWIM?

ETA: I have had a modest amount of caffeine each day lately (like 1/2 a soda - darn DH buying me Pepsi all the time because he feels guilty that he's drinking soda again). We do not actually have a date set for retesting, as we are moving and switching peds. Our ped had suggested 2 mos, but that was with the idea of us doing the drops from the beginning (we just started them on Sunday). We move in 2 weeks, so once we're in the new house (regardless of whether we are unpacked or not) I will find a new ped. and make an appt. to go in, so hopefully within a month from now I will be able to get an idea of when we should retest.
    Last edited by mama_p; January 12th, 2008 at 11:44 PM.

Have you tried stuffing the O's?
    I had some lucky with that. I stuffed with pureed steak or spinach. Did you have any luck with quinoa grain? How about dates? If you can get some organic cows/chicken liver you could try that, but DON"T use regular liver because it stores toxins.

Make sure your own diet is iron rich. Thus no caffeine for you because it lowers iron availability in bm.

i understand what your up against, really, moving on the 18th.

Yeah, I know I need to knock it off with the soda. I actually just decreased the amount of iron I was taking temporarily, as once I started following the vitamin c/calcium recommendations when taking my supplement, I started having "digestive issues" again. I went in for my check-up on Tues. and had bloodwork done, so I will be able to better guage where my own iron intake needs to be. Honestly though, I feel fine, unlike when I was first diagnosed, so I think I'm right where I should be on my own intake.

Oh, I forgot, I have given pasta with spaghetti sauce with pureed hamburger and spinach in it, and that was a hit. I should do that again. I actually made quinoa tonight to give her with dinner, and forgot about it and left it on the stove and never gave it to her. Haven't tried dates. Are they high iron, fiber, or both?

Where are you moving to?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.