Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need weaning help!

Default Need weaning help!

My daughter Olivia turned one on January 4th and I have been nursing/pumping exclusively for the first year. I have now decided to begin weaning her for a number of reasons (her seeming disinterest, convenience, desire to get pregnant), but would like to do so gradually. Her schedule is typically as follows:

5:30 am nursing
    8:30 am, 11:30 am, 2:30 pm (pumping at work for 15 minute sessions)
    6:30 pm nursing before Olivia's bed time
    9:30 pm pumping before my bed time

Over the past two weeks, Olivia has been drinking very little of the (3) 5 oz. bottles I'm sending to school with her. (This also probably has something to do with her significant increase in finger foods as over the past few weeks she has moved to almost exclusively feeding herself at 3 meals and 2 snacks a day....from being fed baby food.) Sometimes she's only taking one or at a maxmium two, therefore, i've been freezing a bottle or two a day.
    Over the past week I have decreased each pumping sessions to 10 minutes (from 15 minutes) and cut out the nighttime pumping session altogether in an attempt to slow down my supply a bit since it seems to be exceeding demand. Is this a bad idea? I don't want my supply to be depleted so quickly that I'm forced into weaning more quickly than I'd like. (We are also going to HI at the end of February which is a 10 hour flight from the East Coast and I'd like to aim to be mostly weaned by then.) HELP! Any advice is greatly appreciate!

P.S. - She doesn't seem to like whole milk...but maybe it's too premature to tell?
    Last edited by heathernmac; January 12th, 2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: adding details

Default Re: Need weaning help!

Why not cut out the pumping sessions 1st? after the year point your body should be pretty well regulated and you shouldn't be too worried about your supply of you are planning on heading down that road any way. Personally I was hesistant to stop at the year point because that's when the colostrum wears off and the more mobile they get the ,ore contact they have with other kids and germs.
    But let go of the pumping sessions 1st and then take it from there!

Way too lazy for formula

Very common for BF LOs to refuse bottles, especially when they have adequate solids. My DD does this. It doesn't mean she's not interested in BM, just that she prefers it from the tap! I would definitely cut out the night time pumping first (no need at this point). The daytime ones serve not only to give your LO her milk at daycare, but also to keep your supply up for weekends when (I'm assuming) she will nurse all day. I've been cutting out pumping sessions here and there while at work, and I notice DD will get frustrated at certain times of the day when I'm not working, especially if she's having a hard time going down for a nap. So, even though she's 18 mos, I kind of feel like I need to go back to (mostly) the old schedule of pumping twice per day at work. I also go home to nurse her at lunch time. I donate the extra frozen milk I accumulate. HTH!
    Last edited by healthymama; January 14th, 2008 at 07:49 AM.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Not much advice. But, for the not drinking whole milk, I was told to start mixing bm with whole milk until eventually it is all whole milk. It kind of helps them adjust to the difference in taste.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Thanks ladies! I did drop out the nighttime pumping session....mostly because it gives me the most freedom to go to bed a little earlier. I've also been giving her half BM and half whole milk in her school bottles and I've wondered if that may be why she is refusing them. I guess at this point all I can do is keep offering the whole milk.

Do any of you find that cutting back so many pumping sessions during the week dramatically decreases your supply on the weekend? (I guess that's the point right!) Even her desire to nurse on the weekends has decreased some but not entirely. I'm worried she won't accept the whole milk and my BM will dry up and she'll be left with nothing. I like to worry...can you tell?!

Basically, I just don't want to wean to quickly.

I found that not pumping after the year point and just nursing my baby whenever I was with him worked just fine. As much or as little as he likes. I have gone as long as 16 hours with out nursing or pumping and had no issues picking up when I saw him. I stayed home until he was 14months old and nursed on demand and at that point went back to work 40+hrs a week. I never pumped and we've had no supply issues. Everything I have read here suggests that by the year point you should be able to trust your body to do what it needs to. My son just recently at two has become interested in Cow's milk. Before now he hasn't been interested and I fed him just BM and water. Your supply will NOT go away if you continue to feed her 2-3x a day at least.

Way too lazy for formula