Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does NIP ever get easier?

Default Does NIP ever get easier?

My LO is 5 weeks and so far I've nursed in a family room in two malls, in my car twice, and today at the park. I am TOTALLY NOT one of those women who no one knows they're nursing. I'm clumsy and awkward. I didn't have my boob hanging out, but you can tell by the sheer amount of stuff I was using to try to make sure I stayed covered. It's frustrating and every time we leave the house I hope that we can get back before he needs to feed again. It's sad.

Default Re: Does NIP ever get easier?

it gets much easier as baby gets older!
    You'll leak less and baby will space out feedings too.
    You'll get the hang of it!
    I try and find someplace were I can have my back to most of the people in the room.
    at the mall I would pick a place and scout out a chair/bench that was in a store in the back or twards the outside walls.
    less people wondering around then in the outside of the mall...

oh and my favorite nip public story..
    I was at the park with my phillip. He was born in June and this was 4th of july so he was about a month old.
    I scouted out a place to sit down on the ground to nurse him.
    I had a fount pack carrier and a blanket and he was ready to nurse.
    AS I am trying to get him on, her comes a big long line of boy scouts.
    the den leader says oh look at the tiny baby how old is it.. and I say about a month old. Hes so cute.
    one of the boys says "What is she doing?"
    and the Den leader said "The BAby is nursing"
    and the boy said oh..
    and they went on over the hill.

It does get easier! I love my nursing cover!

http://www.bebeaulait.com/
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Yes, it gets easier. Practice, practice, practice.! I felt so clumsy at first that I would be drenched with sweat by the time I got DS latched on in public.
    You'll get the hang of it soon.
    Katie
    Just one more fanatical cloth diaper convert...
    Mom to Morgan (01/10/04) and Zachary (07/12/06)
    What are M & Z up to now?

WOW and I thought I was the only one. I have the hardest time nip. I hope it gets easier.

The more you do it, the easier it will be!

If you're anything like I was at 5 weeks, you're still getting used to comfortably nursing at HOME, let alone in public. It will get easier as you get better and better at the nursing thing. And your LO won't need to eat quite as often as he gets older, which makes it easier. Keep at it. It will definitely get easier.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I thankfully have never had a problem nursing in public--I guess because I know it's my right to do so. I nurse where ever we go--My DH will steer the cart when we are shopping and I nurse(walking, shopping and nursing). I nurse in the restaurants, I nurse in church sitting in the pew(although I will go get myself and LO situated then go back to my seat-sometimes), and I nurse in the car, at friends houses just where ever. If I notice someone checking me out I just smile and believe it or not they smile back and sometimes that will also give you opportunity to educate someone as sometimes they will engage in a conversation with you about it. You may even encourage someone else to do the same--I have been in situations where that has happened and I have always gotten positive feedback.

So since I can't offer that it will get easier because it's always been easy for me I will offer that maybe you can think of it as your GOD given right to nurse when ever and where ever you are. It's like having a right to vote, or to get paid fair wages when you know you are unequivocally entitled to something you take pride in it and you take no pause in not feeling bad about it.

I also feel if you nurse with pride your confidence about it shows and then others feel confident about it instead of uneasy. People take their ques from you so if you seem timid then they will sense that and feel embarrassed or timid as well.

Take pride in nursing your LO's in public where ever and when ever--it's our GOD given right to do so the same pride you feel when voting, taking care of your family and just being the best mom you can be is the same pride you should have when nursing!

We need some type of symbol as they had in the 60's when women burned their bras.
    Mom to Malachi Xavier 9-07/25/1999, Nursed Exclusively,
    Nicolas Daniel 2yrs old-07/28/2007, Nursed Exclusively & Still Nursing Periodically But Sure To Come To An End Soon~Tear
    Married to Dear Husband 15yrs but together 25yrs.

Get a "hooter-hider" if you don't already have one (you can order on ebay)...you can see baby, but no one else can. Yes it gets easier and I've found no one cares about it as much as much as you and half the time no one notices.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09