Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Just Starting

Default Just Starting

My Pediatrician told me yesterday that I could start my baby on rice cereal but she is only 4 months and a week old. I asked why so early because I thought that breastfeed babies didn't start solids until 6 months. She told me that it was between 4 to 6 depending on there motor development skills. My baby already holds head up with no support and sits up with help and stands a lot with help and she is almost rolling over. I guess, she is doing everything really early so my doctor told me that she is ready for a little rice cereal. Is this ok to do? I don't want to upset her tummy. We did a little yesterday, and she loved it, but she kept waking up through the night wanting to breastfeed. She wakes up in the night anyways, but she never wakes up every hour or 2. Did the food upset her tummy?

Default Re: Just Starting

I would hold off. The recommendation to wait has nothing to do with motor skills It has to do with their digestive tract. They really aren't mature enough for solids until the 6month point. Don't complicate your life. There is only a short time when breastmilk alone is all they need. Cherish every moment. I'd put way the spoon for two months at least.

Way too lazy for formula

kelly moms has a great page with lots of reasons to delay...
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

My pediatrician told me to start solids at 4 months too. I respectfully told her that I would be waiting until atleast 6 months. Owen now has all the signs of being ready for solids (sits well without support, lost tongue thrust reflex, shows interest in food, etc.). I think I'll try a little something with him in the next week or so.

I do have to admit I was suprised when my ped mentioned it. I thought the recommendation for an exclusively breastfeeding mother was always 6 months. But for some reason it seems not all peds got the memo.

Katie
    Colin 4/12/05
    Owen 7/12/07

My ped told us that we could start at 4 months, but she was glad when I told her I would probably we wait until 6 months. She said lots of parents just want to start eary and she tells them that they can, but it is better to wait esp. if you are bfing.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My ped told me to start him on one feeding of cereal a day and if it constipates him to give him some apple juice. I told her that I was bfing and she said "Oh, well give him the cereal, but be sure not to replace any of his feeding because the breastmilk is better for him." How am I supposed to do that?? I tried the cereal and he loves it, probably because it is mixed with breastmilk.

Quote Originally Posted by kayden's mama View Post
    I told her that I was bfing and she said "Oh, well give him the cereal, but be sure not to replace any of his feeding because the breastmilk is better for him." How am I supposed to do that??
    By doing baby-led solids after nursing.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.