Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleepless...

Default Sleepless...

The twins are 13 months now, and sleep has become an issue. Josiah was sleeping 12 hours at night until about 3 weeks ago. Sophia had been waking up once to nurse during that same 12 hours until 2 months ago. Then, Josiah started waking once and Sophia twice. Then, Josiah twice and Sophia three times. Now, God help me, they are up every two hours. Sometimes it's one of them, but usually it's both. Cap that off with a three year old who doesn't want to stay in bed till about 11 and is up at 7 and I think I might lose it.
    We HAVE been dealing with illness and teething, but this seems extreme. I haven't wanted to limit Sophia's night nursing because she has some weight gain issues (she did triple her birthweight by her first birthday, but has only gained 1 lb in the last 6 months) and Josiah didn't really need any night nursing limits, as he slept so much.
    Both babies nurse 4-5 times a day, Sophia is less interested, so sometimes it's only 3 times for her, but that is unusual. Josiah is a nursing champ and would probably let me walk around with him dangling latched on if I would let him.
    Do any of you ladies have similar experiences? Any tips? I think I might go nuts. Things haven't been this bad since they were two weeks old!
    Also, we have tried having my husband do the "nighttime parenting" thing. He is really great about it, but, it doesn't seem to matter how long he soothes them, they still will not go back to sleep without nursing. It becomes particularly difficult when they both are awake. For example, Sophia woke up last night and he was up with her for an hour, snuggling, etc, she was asleep, he laid her in bed and she started screaming, waking up Josiah, now, two screaming babies. What to do?
    Last edited by ashlee1954; January 11th, 2008 at 11:39 PM.
    Mommie to big sister Eszter, and twinnies Sophia and Josiah

Default Re: Sleepless...

I am in the same boat with one. I cannot imagine with two! Joshua is cutting molars, and that has had a HUGE impact on his sleep. When he isn't teething he sleeps much longer blocks.
    I would suggest keeping up with the nighttime fathering. My dh can now rock Joshua back to sleep. It took a long time with lots of tears, but now Joshua will nurse or let dh rock him. This way we take turns and get more sleep. However, when actively teething, he does the SAME THING! DH will rock him back to sleep for like an hour, but the second he tries to put him down, he would start screaming and clinging. It also takes me forever to nurse him back to sleep when he is teething. Molars are a nightmare. If you go to the "sleep or lack of it" thread, there is a molar survey I started. Most pp said their lo's had very disrupted sleep. We give Joshua motrin before bed. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.

Is there anyway of sleeping the twins apart so they do not wake each other? They are definately at the age where they start cutting molars, so it will be rough for awhile. Hopefully there will be little breaks in between. I wish I could be more helpful. Hopefully someone on here will have some good tips.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Thanks Kathryn!
    I agree about the teething, but for us it's not even close to molars! Sophia only has her bottom two (with six really swollen bumps on top) and Josiah has the front four! It's gonna be a long road. Thanks for the encouragement about the nighttime fathering. I know Brian is willing to stick it out for the long haul as long as he knows it might actually start working one of these days!

Yes, it will work, just keep at it. The first week we had Jake rock Joshua down, he screamed forever. It was hard, but I knew dada was with him, and holding him. Each time after that it got easier and easier. Now I can't imagine going at it alone. We take turns. Last night Jake fell asleep with Joshua on the floor in his room from 11:00 -3:00. Then he woke up at 3:00, and I nursed him, and Jake came back to bed. I have a feeling we'll be playing musical beds for a long time. I hope things get better for you!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

We were having the same problem, the twins would scream for my husband until I nursed them. It also hit at around 13 months. Finally we used Dr. Jay Gordon's method to try to get them to sleep through the night again. It has taken a couple of weeks but now Eli & Audrey go from 11-6 without nursing. Not saying that they don't wake up but, usually just going into their room and soothing them works. In the last week, usually one or the other wakes for a few minutes. We are now at nursing 3-4 times during the day and lots of hugs and kisses to make up for the comfort. Good Luck and keep us posted on how it is going.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

I don't have much advice for you, but I do have sympathy. Mohamed is 19 months and continues to wake at least 3 times at night, usually more like 4-5. The only thing I've been able to do is change my outlook on it a little. Now, I kind of look forward to the little glances and kisses and cuddlign in the middle of the night and I get sad to know that this too will pass. Maybe that wouldn't be as easy for you since you are juggling 3- but it never hurts to try.

Thanks Nancy and Mari.
    I discovered Dr. Gordon's method, too. Brian and I have read it and it looks reasonable. I think we will try it.
    Mari, you are right, that I will not always have these moments. I don't usually mind if one of them is up nursing... It's when one is nursing and the other is screaming, or both of them are nursing and my husband can't fit on the bed that I feel like I might lose it.
    Last night was the best night in over a month. Sophie slept till 3 and Sy till 5. They both went back to sleep after nursing. And NO ONE in the house woke up again until 8:30. I felt like a new woman! If they would do that even once a week I think I could handle it!
    Thanks for your encouragement and support!