Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how long between bowel movements?

Default how long between bowel movements?

my 5 week old dd has stopped pooping.its only been about 36 hours,but she has always gone almost every feeding.she is still having plenty of nice wet diapers,but thats it,she is also not passing gas.is this normal?how long can she go before it becomes a problem?she has a cold so i dont know if this is causing problems or not.

Default Re: how long between bowel movements?

My kids were always slow poopers!! I'd call your pediatrician and ask how long they recommend before worrying, since yours has been a "regular" pooper. Maybe something you ate is bothering her? Sometimes foods can bother the baby, even if they had no effect on you. Good luck!!

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/bm.html

http://www.mother-2-mother.com/normal.htm#NormalStools
    heres some info.. some kids go a long time when they get older, but boy watch out when they do go.. lol...

Hi! First post but I've been lurking a while.

I've read this is totally normal for some babies and starts right about 6 weeks... your baby is close to that. When our son (now 3 mos) was first BF-ing he pooped every feeding. About a month old, he dropped to once per day... then once every other day... you see the pattern...

Earlier this month our son went 11 days between poops. On the 9th day I called my ped's office and they recommended karo syrup in water. I was not too sure about that because I'd read that BF babies can never truly be constipated. My lactation consultant said this also. Sure enough, I waited two more days and he had a monster poop -- overfilled the diaper -- but the poop was totally normal in color and consistency. It's not the frequency as much as it is what the poop comes out like -- as long as its still mustardy and seedy, it's not constipation. Basically b/c the milk is almost totally digestable, some babies "save up" their poop rather than go through straining all the time.

(BTW, my LC says she's read of a baby who went 31 days between poops! Yipes!)