Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weight gain

Default Weight gain

My DS is 3 weeks old. He was born at 8lbs4oz, and dropped to 7lb9oz in the 1st 3 days. I was told by the nurses to supplement, and I didn't (as my milk was not in yet, and I want to EBF). He went back up to 8lb2oz at 1 week old, and back to birth weight at 2 weeks. I had to take him in for a cold (poor baby) at 3 weeks and he had not gained any weight in that week. The doctor wasn't concerned (not his regular pediatrician) and said that it was normal. I thought that babies were supposed to gain at least a few ounces a week. This is really concerning me. I know that he is getting enough, I think I may have somewhat of OALD, as sometimes he chokes at first. I hear lots and lots of swallowing, and he has at least 8-10 wet and 5-6 poopy diapers a day. Any ideas ladies?

Default Re: Weight gain

Illness can definitely set back weight gain. I couldn't say with certainty, but it is a fair assumption that is the reason that your baby's doctor wasn't concerned.

Baby's output sounds great. What goes in, must come out.

Keep us updated! Hope your baby feels better soon.

It's normal for a baby's weight to drop in the first week after birth, so don't worry about that. And it sounds like your little guy then went on to gain, aside from the one week when he had a cold. As the PP said, illness can affect weight gain, so I wouldn't worry. Chances are that once he's better, he'll make up for it!
    Hang in there!!!

Ok, that makes me feel better! My doctor didn't explain it like that. I was convinced my milk was bad or something. He will get weighed again on the 18th (when he's a month). I will let you all know if he's gaining.

good for you for not listening to the nurses "advice" to supplement! Sounds like his intake is great. Keep us posted!

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

My LO did the same thing and the visiting home nurse made us suppliment. My milk wasn't in yet either and he lost almost a pound and wasn't peeing, but he was also tongue tied. We got his frenulum clipped, my milk came in day 4 of his life and we've been good ever since.

Sorry to hear he's not feeling well, but the BM is good for him. Like the PP said output sounds good so he should be doing well

Update: He was weighed today at 8lbs, 12oz. So he's gained 8 oz since last weigh in! He's also grown an inch this last month. Thanks for all your support, ladies!!

Sounds like you're doing awesome. I have a slightly OALD, but my son has learned to handle it, and has gained beautifully (7#6oz. @ birth; 12#2oz. @ 9 weeks - today!). Don"t sweat it, keep up the good work!