Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much should she eat?

Red face How much should she eat?

I am recovering form mastitis in my right breast and baby will not latch on to it at all. Doctor said to feed her from left then pump right and give it to her in a bottle. We've been doing that for about a week, but I have a couple of concerns.

1. She was already lazy on the breast but I think it's getting worse. She has no problem going from breast to bottle but she is tired of the breast after about 10-15 minutes. She won't take any more breast but 15 or so minutes later she'll chug a couple of ounces from a bottle! That does not seem right to me.
    2. If I was feeding her purely expressed breast milk how much milk should she be drinking a day? It's impossible to know how much she is taking off my breast but we are supplementing with about 10oz of bottle right now.

I would love to know if I went to solely pumping and feeding her from a bottle, how much should I give her a day? She eats about 8 to 10 times a day and each feeding varies on the amount she'll eat.

Any advice on a) how much to feed her a day and b) any way to get her more active and longer on my breast would be appreciated.

Default Re: How much should she eat?

Can I make a suggestion? The best way to get rid of mastitis is to have THE BABY drain the affected breast first and then maybe the pump after, with mastitis the pump really don't get that much milk out and it only going to make the infection linger longer. Put the baby on the affected breast first, I don't see the need for the bottle, the only way to get baby to stay longer and be more active on the breast is to put her on it as much as she want, that's the fastest way to recover from mastitis.

BTW, I had mastitis when DS was around 3 weeks old.

I have been trying to get her on the right breast too. Sometimes she goes for it. Sometimes not. I can get her on for 5 minutes or so, but she stops being active very quickly. That's why the doc said to pump off remaining and feed her bottle.
    Just now she did about 7 minutes on right and on and off left for 20 minutes so i think that's a good feed and I wouldn't supplement with the bottle. If she does less than 15 minutes on left and nothing on right then I substitute with bottle.
    Just not sure if that means she is getting enough or not.

how old is the baby?
    here's a link to know if the baby is getting the milk they need.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.html

babies have a strong need to suck and will keep drinking from a bottle even though they do not need milk at the time. its a reflex.

baby will not latch on to it at all.
    Sorry, I missed that part! Have you tried pumping at the same time you feed her from the left so the milk flows easier hence drain the breast better and then put her on the right breast to see if it makes it easier for her to latch on?

Go to the link mentioned on the pp to see if she's getting enough, the best thing to do is to watch the diaper output. I also agree with pp about the bottle thing.