Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice with BF.

Default Need some advice with BF.

Hello everyone! My name is Elisabeth and I have been on this site for a couple weeks now, offering some advice when I can. My dd was 8 weeks on Wed. She is growing like crazy! She eats every 3 hours, ten min. on each side at least.

We discovered around week 4 that she had developed reflux after research and have been treating her very carefully (propping her bed up, holding her for awhile after she eats, not passing her to alot of people, etc.). That has been working so far. I also notice that she gets really fussy when I drink milk ( I have an intolerance to milk usually as well), juices, onions, and garlic.

These past few days she has a problem eating on my right side. It's the opposite side that she had the problem on before (when we discovered reflux). She just starts crying, and no matter when position I do, she will cry until I hold her and she falls asleep. She hasn't been able to get her normal naps in ( it all started when she started almost sleeping through the night).

My mom, who I live with, is at a loss at what to do! I, being a first time mom, don't know either!

Any suggestions or advice?

Default Re: Need some advice with BF.

Here is a link to some info on bf and reflux. Hopefully there will be something hwlpful in it.
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Is she nursing from the right side at all? Has anything changed that you can think of? Has she been ill?

Have you called your local LLL leader? She'd be a great source of info and support!

Did she recetly get a vaccine on the side that she would be laying on that could be causing some discomfort?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

She hasn't had any vaccines lately and the only thing I have noticed was a slight cough now and then but she went to the dr. yesterday for a well baby checkup and he said she looked great.

We had some difficulty with her last night and she slept from midnight to almost 8. I started her on the right side and she ate about 8 minutes, then about 6 minutes on the other side and she was done. I got some sleep I needed last night, and today is a new day.

Thanks for your help

do you have OALD at all I know my baby was not into my right side as much because it lets down so strong! Have you tried meds for the reflux? My baby has silent reflux and the medicine has really made a difference

I know is that my nipple is more tough on the left side because of a crack that healed and she prefers it more because it must be easier to latch on to. That is the only thing I can think of.

When you try and latch her on, are your breasts engorged at all?

I, like the PP believe it may be OALD and the flow of milk may be too strong for baby to gulp down and when baby is gulping down milk she may be swallowing air, causing gas. Babies do have a preferance as to which side they like better, maybe that is the case. My ds prefers the left side. It will get better mama hang in there

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    When you try and latch her on, are your breasts engorged at all?
    No, they aren't and actually today was the first time I felt my milk let down on my right side. And she was on it for about 5 minutes

If I don't catch her when she is half asleep she just arches her back and cries. I am trying to stick with it, I won't give up. I usually have her on there as long as she will then switch over. It takes me 5 minutes to get anything out if I pump.

I have to go to the dr. for vaccines next week, i will let him know about this and see if I can do anything for her reflux.

Thanks for everyone's advice.