Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: time to start solids?

Default time to start solids?

LO is almost 5 months. She was sleeping 10-12 hrs every night untill she started teething. She has popped #1 and is working on popping tooth#2. She has started waking up once every night to eat. She will not go back to sleep until she eats. Last night she was ravenous.

I am wondering if I should start some cereal. I know it is not recommended till 6 months. It seems to be the trend to start earlier to have them sleep more at night. I don't even mind getting up to feed her, in fact I missed it anyway. I just hate to think she is needing food.

I have exclusively breastfed for the whole 5 months and to be honest I am sad to no longer be her only soarce of food. I know that is selfish. I can't help it. I just do not want to starve her in order to make me happy. kwim?

Plus I feel our breastfeeding relationship has been so great I am scared to death to upset it. We worked really hard to get to this point. Also we are going to start weaning her from the swaddle and I hate to introduce 2 new things to her at once. If I do start cereal, should I wait on the weaning from the swaddle. Or will it help her sleep thru the no swaddle?

Sorry so confusing.

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: time to start solids?

and this...
    The idea that solids will help your baby sleep is an old wives' tale that has been disproven by medical studies. Feeding your baby solids or formula in an attempt to make baby sleep longer is not a good idea for several reasons:

There's no evidence that it will help. Some babies will sleep worse, due to reactions to the formula or solids (tummy ache, etc. are not uncommon), particularly if baby is younger than around 6 months. Two studies have indicated that adding solids to the diet does not cause babies to sleep longer. These studies found no difference in the sleep patterns of babies who received solids before bedtime when compared to babies who were not given solids. Here are the two studies:

Macknin ML, Medendorp SV, Maier MC. Infant sleep and bedtime cereal. Am J Dis Child. 1989 Sep;143(9):1066-8.

Keane V, et al. Do solids help baby sleep through the night? Am J Dis Child 1988; 142: 404-05.

Good luck
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thank you so much for the second article. It really helps me think about her rather than myself!!!!

Thank you thank you!!!!!!

Hello! I think you should just continue exclusive breastfeeding till she is 6 months old. I started at 4 1/2 with rice cereal and then stopped (no reason) and then apples and green beans and my daughter developed a red eczema-type rash on her cheeks and I stopped. I read an article that says that till they are 6 months old, the lining in their stomachs are still "open" and that their intestines aren't quite suited yet. I wish I read that article before I started my daughter! I am going to wait till my daughter is 6 1/2 months and start with an organic banana mixed with a little breastmilk to ease the texture. Good luck!

It's best to wait in my opinion and experience. My doctor told me to start rice cereal that it would help her sleep through the night again and it didn't. I've tried stopping and exclusively bf again and she would not have it. It is probably just a growth spurt, but you know your baby best.

You're not starving her. Keep nursing. She loves it as much as you do. Cereal won't help with the night waking, except for the initial "shock" to the system that might put LO out like a light for a the first few nights.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.