Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Balancing solids and breastmilk

Default Balancing solids and breastmilk

I have been giving my DD (9.5 months) homemade purees and *some* organic jarred baby food intermingled with a gradually increasing numbers of "finger foods" since about 6.5 months. I am fully on board with BM being the major source of nutrition until one year, but am trying to get my DD exposed to a wide variety of foods so she isn't as picky as my DH. She is down to two 5 or 6 ounce bottles of expressed breastmilk a day and sometimes doesn't eat all of that. She nurses mornings, before bed, and (sometimes all) nights. I think she is busy playing and is finding that the solids are filling her up. I try to have her nurse or take a bottle within an hour of getting her solids so she isn't hungry. If I nurse or my DH gives her a bottle RIGHT before eating, she really doesn't eat anything. It seems like she is generally starting to go 4 or more hours between any sort of "feedings."

How do you balance it so your LO is eating a variety of healthful food and experiencing textures and tastes while still maintaining his/her interest in BM? I'm finding this is quite a balancing act.

Sample solids menu (todays):
    Breakfast: egg yolk, poached; 1-2 ice cubes of an apple-pear puree I made (I'm trying to use it up); 4-5 blueberries

Dinner: avocado wedge (maybe 1/8 of an avocado); diced steamed carrots (1/4 of a carrot or maybe 3-4 TBS; 1 ice cube of a mashed potato/peas/zucchini mixture; 8-10 raisins

Does that seem like a lot? She won't eat it all... the egg was new today, normally she has a few TBSP of organic baby oatmeal or organic instant oatmeal.

TIA

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Balancing solids and breastmilk

I'd recommend that you read about baby led solids as it provides the perfect balance between milk and solids.

LO may not be interested in food if she feels it doesn't have enough calories in it. fruit and veg take up a lot of room in tummy without providing many calories (other than avocado)

go to go...

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Thank you. I will get that. It seems she might even be on a nursing strike on top of things. I do about 50% BLS and am easing into doing mostly that. My husband is a SAHD and wouldn't cooperate, so I had to give her some purees. Can you recommend a good book, as the only information I have on BLS is what I've seen here?

I only gave her foods she could pick up on her own this weekend. She would have eaten more, but I cut her off since she was refusing to nurse. She also wanted water on Sunday but I wanted her to nurse so would only give her a sip. She had a dry diaper Sunday afternoon, but finally had a good long nurse around 6 pm Sunday night and a good wet diaper this morning.

I also think she's teething as she is running a low fever.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you want to cut off her access to solids and water, just other milks and sucking (ie, pacis, bottles, sippies, thumb, etc). HTH!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Thank you. She's back to nursing for now. I started to think that limiting water might be bad, so I have allowed her to have some. I did ask DH to keep the paci away from her when she wasn't looking for it (out of sight, out of mind) and that seems to help. I have been trying to keep the paci away at night too, and just offer the breast more often (we cosleep so that's not a problem).

I really appreciate the ideas!