Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm New, but is he having a nursing strike?

Default I'm New, but is he having a nursing strike?

My son yesterday (Wed) started refusing my breast. He has always been a good nurser so this is confusing. He also was good at eating anywhere. So now he cries and makes all the signals of being hungry and i offer him my breast and he just gets mad and cries. So yesterday he waited 6 hours to eat then he finally went to sleep and I fed him while he was barely awake. than refusal again til I bathed him and put him to bed and he nursed before he went to sleep at 10. today he started refusing the breast after his 9AM feeding and hasn't eaten since. its almost 2PM.

Some background info... Monday he went for his 4 mos shots and then tues I have a nite class where i dont get home after a 4 hour time away. But he's with his dad and still with me all day long.

Whats going on?

He will still nurse when he's tired and i'm taking him to the doctor tomorrow to rule out anything medical.

So yea please help.

THANKS!!!!

Default Re: I'm New, but is he having a nursing strike?

Sounds like a lot going on for a little guy. I would def rule out anything medical and then just maybe take a step back, quiet the house, make sure that he is getting well rested, not overstimulated ect... I have also found that feeding in a dark room with a nose maker is very helpful. Not letting him get to over hungry also sometimes works. Let us know what the doc says..Sometimes these things just happen.

Thanks for the reply. Yea i'm still confused. I just tried to feed him again and he got mad and started crying. now he's sitting peacefully with his dad.

How frustrating to have your baby refusing to nurse! This be quite confusing for you!

It is very unusual for a baby to wean on his own before the first year and so yes, he could be having a nursing strike. The fact that he seems unhappy about this is also a clue that it is not natural and something is going on.

If you rule out anything medical, such as the onset of illness or discomfort from teething, then you might take some of these approaches. Britann gave some good suggestions...to add to that, you could increase skin-to-skin contact. Try taking him into the bathtub to calm him and nurse. Try nursing when he is aleep or drowsy, change nursing positions, try nursing while walking or rocking. If this is a nursing strike, most babies return to feeding within 2 to 4 days.

You will need to be sure to express you milk as often as the baby was nursing so that you do not become uncomfortably full and to keep up your supply. You could give him the expressed milk in a cup until he is ready to nurse again.

Please let us know how he is doing.

HTH,

What I forgot to mention, to answer your question, is that sometimes we never do figure out what is going on with a nursing strike. It usually rectifies itself, whatever the cause, but it often remains a mystery. Small comfort, I know, but hang in there!

i tried the quiet room suggestion and the bath thing but he still is getting mad. the only way I can get him to take breast milk is by a syringe. I feel uncomfortable with that because it seems he isn't getting enough. well... i'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again.

I used to lay down and nurse my babies a lot when they were very young. Both of my children stopped wanting to nurse while sitting up when they were about 4 months old. My son would go all day, until I'd finally go to sleep -- then he'd lay down and nurse with me. It took a couple weeks to realize that was it.

Also, trying to nurse him while he's sleeping or almost sleeping is a good way to get a baby to suck and the breast again.

You must feel very frustrated. You could try to find a LLL meeting to attend in the next couple days. A leader may be able to get you the help you need.

Good Luck

Just wanted to see how things are going? What did the doc say? Also I thought that I would recommend a book, THE HAPPIEST BABY ON THE BLOCK, not league approved but a really good one, I wish that I had read it when my Thomas was going through tough times. I would also suggest to try to swaddle him, very tightly, even if he fights it, then try to nurse. I remember when Thomas had his 1st ear infection and would not nurse, it was very hurtful, I hope that today goes better.

well... last nite around midnite he started really wailing and grabbing his ear so we took him to the ER instead of waiting to see his doc. Well they check him out there and he doesn't have a thing wrong with him. I guess he's just doing his baby thing and we may never know whats going on. You're right. He does eat when he's sleep but now i'm back to feeding him every 2 hours at nite. well. i guess as long as he eats right? I miss my ready to eat baby!
    Last edited by intertribalmomma; January 27th, 2006 at 05:48 PM.

Wow - your story sounds so familiar! My son will be 4 mnths in a week. I am exclusivly breastfeeding, but can't say it has been the bonding - happy experience I was told it would be. Since he was born he goes in an out of the so called "nursing strikes". The latest strike is going on a month now. He does finally eat at some point, so don't be too alarmed. I try to nurse him and he cries and then I have to rock him till his eyes are closed but he is still rooting and then he will nurse. It is the most frustrating thing in the world! Trying to get him soothed can be a 30 min process. Sometimes he will eat out of the bottle though, and then again sometimes he doesn't. It's almost like the whole act of eating is what he is mad about. I am at my witts end and don't know what else to try. Please let me know if anything works for you. I have plenty of milk and it lets down good. The bottle has a good flow nipple. I have dimmed lights, played music, had silence, and etc.. PLEASE HELP!