Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nurses for short time and then sucks thumb?

Unhappy Nurses for short time and then sucks thumb?

My 3 month old son has started to nurse for only a few minutes on one breast and then once off he starts sucking his hands and fingers and thumb. If I try and re-introduce my breast, he gets very upset. He eventually does go back on the breast again but repeats the pattern. He does this all througout the day. He has done this off and on for the past week or so. I have burped him for upwards of 20 minutes and then tried to nurse again and he is still upset. He doesnt appear to be losing weight and I have checked for signs of thrush in his mouth. He doesnt seem to have any thrush. I have heard about non-nutritive sucking but I wonder if he is getting enough when he only nurses for a couple of minutes. I am very frustrated and dont know what is going on with him. I plan on calling the doctor soon but wanted to know if anyone had any words of wisdom?

Default Re: Nurses for short time and then sucks thumb?

My 3 month old has been doing the same thing-- she'll start nursing, then stick her hand in her mouth, and seems to be more interested in that. She seems to be getting plenty to eat-- lots of pees and poops, seems satisfied after eating, etc. I figure that since she has just recently mastered the art of bringing her hand to her mouth, she finds that pretty interesting right now.

Is he upset at the breast, or just interested in his fingers? Is he making enough "output"?

He gets upset at the breast when I try and re-introduce right away. Once some time has passed and I give it another go he drinks for a few minutes and repeats the pattern over again. He pees a lot everyday and poops once every two days. I hope it is just the curiosity of his fingers....its good to know that Im not the only one.

p.s. more ideas or suggestions welcome.

Similar problem here.He nurses for about 6-7 minutes.then fusses.cries.i have to take him off the breast, then try amuse him or wait until he clears up his discomfort-mostly poops or tries to. seems he has some gas from me.i burp him also and he spits or hiccups.when i reintroduce breats (coz 5 minute sor so nursing is too less and i am afraid if he is getting enough, whiel previous weight checks for 10 minute nursing were fine, indicating weight gain), i am worried about these 5 minute and irregualr periodic nursing (he is 6 week old.this second time he cries or fusses though the breast is in his mouth.
    i treid amusing him by palying sounds to him or singing
    nothhing works
    itis getting ahrd to know why he fusses or wouldnt sleep or wouldnt nurse.we try real hard my walking him etc to soothe him or make him sleep.
    he does spit out some milk and vomits some.(not always, once or twice a week)
    any help greatly appreciated
    thanks!

somewhat similar situation in that DD (3.5mos) loves her fingers in her mouth. Loves loves loves those fingers & thumb (poor raw skin!). Sometimes after I nurse, she sticks them in right away. Possibly on my end b/c she has reflux, she sticks them in b/c she doesn't like the acidy taste (dr told me this...), but maybe b/c she just wants to suck on them! If your output is good, I wouldn't worry about it- maybe your son just wants to suck. I try to give her a pacifier so she doesn't get used to sucking her thumb - you may want to try that. I am always told that they will eat when they're hungry so try not to stress about it! Also, I have read that babies are more efficient eaters when they get older so he probably is getting enough, just doing it quicker than before. Try not to worry!!