Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying hard and tiring fast...

Default Re: Trying hard and tiring fast...

I'm curious as to what your baby is eating like before falling asleep. Do you hear swallowing? (it sounds like a faint "uh" or "uh-uh"). Do you see rythmic movement in baby's cheeks...usually baby should be opening mouth, pausing briefly to allow milk in, then closing a little to swallow. Are you able to tell when you've let down? Sometimes babies can get "bored" with a slow-flow and fall asleep, but then they can also fall asleep when satisfied.

I agree with oceanmamma to let her just hang out on the breast and that will stimulate milk production. I really hope your consultation goes well and you are doing great!!!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I had to do the same thing in the beginning because my baby was a NICU baby. And if you didn't know, if you pump you will only get a portion of the milk that is actually in your breast. Someone once told me that your baby is your best pump, because their tongue strokes the bottom of your breast almost like when you milk a cow. So she will get more milk out then a pump ever will. And just to let you know your milk will soon dry up if you keep pumping, its not a natural thing so your body will think that your baby needs less and less milk since a pump only gets a portion of it out. That is what was happening to me, when I was pumping, and I too had to supplement. But one day I just decide, no matter what doctors says or wanted me to do, I just starting to breastfeed only. I did have to feed her every hour because my milk was low, but the more you have your baby on your breast the more milk you will make. I also want to tell you that 4-5 onces of milk to WAY TO MUCH. If she keeps eating like that she is going to be heading toward obesity. Sounds funny, when your baby is weighing less, but her tiny little tummy isn't suppose to handle that much milk. Remember, her tummy is the size of her fist and that is pretty tiny. She is eating as much a 4 to 5 month old would eat and that is a lot. So try to slowly give her less, then she will definitely have enough breast milk from you. I hope this helps a little.

One more think a LC told me that it takes a baby brain 30 minutes to tell his tummy that he is full. She might be sucking a bottle down so fast because she does so in less then 30 minutes. She probably just likes the comfort of sucking. So try to burp her after every once, or if you breastfeed her burp her every minute or so. She might get fussy, so if you use a pasy, just put it in her mouth so she will have something to suck on, if you done use a pasy, try your finger. She just might want to continue sucking on something. If you do this I bet you will see that she is eating a lot less.

Hang in there. Things will get better for you.

your way