Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying hard and tiring fast...

Exclamation Trying hard and tiring fast...

I am a first time mom with a 3 week old baby girl. Since I brought her home from the hospital I have been breastfeeding but at her two week check up her weight was surprisingly very low and I was forced to supplement just to keep her healthly. No matter how often I pump I can (on a good day) only get about a half ounce on each side. My child can easily finish a 4-5 ounce bottle each feeding. My body just won't produce enough milk. In the begining everything was fine and I would get full fast and produce atleast 2 ounces a side; I don't understand what could have caused the sudden decrease in supply. It's getting bad now that when I put the pump on now I don't get anything and it hurts really bad. I get sudden sharp needle like pains in my breast the come and go often.
    I am worried I am drying up and would not be able to feed again unless this problem is fixed soon.
    please anyone that can help me at all.... HELP!

Default Re: Trying hard and tiring fast...

Hi and welcome to LLL. I'm so sorry that you're having difficulties, I will try to help as best as I can. How often does the baby nurse? Offer the breast as often as possible as breastfeeding is a supply and demand thing so the more the baby is on the breast the better the boost to your supply.

As for the pumping, please check the size of your Flange. It sounds as if they might be too big which could be causing the pain. HTH.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Hi. I know that breast feeding can be challenging. I have supply issues myself since I received bad advice and supplemented from the beginning. But here is what I do and it seems to ensure that at least half of my lo's feed is from the breast. Offer the breast first before the bottle, everytime. That way your breasts receive the needed stimulation and your lo gets some bm. Then feed the needed supplement until lo is full. Try to additionally pump during the day when lo is sleeping and at night. Someone on this forum told me about power pumping and it really improved my supply. When your lo goes down for the night, pump for 10 mins every 10 mins for half and hour, so that is 3 times with 10 min breaks inbetween. Don't forget to lubricate your nipples with a little lanolin to reduce friction. Eat lots of oatmeal and drink lots of water and try not to stress. Hopefully be the 5th or 6th day you should see some improvement if only in the amount that you pump. Then you may start feeling more full at night time and you are on your way. The key is consistency and don't beat yourself up about it. Any amount of breast milk it good for your baby. Slow and steady wins the race. You'll get lots of encouragement from the ladies here so keep us updated.

Sounds like like you're doing everything properly mama, I think you're just stressing your self out trying to be super mama like we all do in the beginning. The first thing that stands out to me is that your little one can eat 4-5oz. Big baby! Most baby's that age eat about 1.5oz. My ped told me a 2-4mo old will eat between 2-4oz so your lo is definitely eating well.

You might not be getting a great output with pumping because of all the stress. Try drinking lots and lots of water, eating oatmeal and don't pump before a nursing session unless you have overactive letdown. Pump after your baby has finished nursing and be consistent with it, every time you pump pump for 15-20 minutes but don't hurt yourself!. Don't watch the clock and let your baby finish one side completely before offering the other one. Remember the more you nurse the more you'll make, smx's the more you pump and less you nurse the less you'll make. Make nursing frequently not pumping frequently your number one priority. Also try hand expressing. Sometimes when I'm not getting anything from the pump I can usually express some with my hand.

Congrats on your new baby!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

One last thing! A lot of ppl think that baby isn't getting enough because they can finish large bottles so easily. Babies that age love to suck and don't really know how to stop eating from a bottle since when they suck more comes out and they have to swallow. At the breast once your let down has evened out your baby would be able to control the milk they're getting when they suck hard enough they get milk when they just want to pacify they wont get milk.

Don't let your doc bully you either!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

I'm sorry you're having difficulties. The same thing happened to me and my DS. Can you see and Lactation consultant to help you with the baby and the pump? Even with the help of a LC my baby wasn't gaining weight so I had to supplement with expressed breast milk (he only got really good at BFing at about 15 weeks so don't be discouraged). What I did to increase supply was:

1) Rented a hospital grade pump (dual PPing)
    2) Bought bigger flanges (the standard size was too small for my nipple and it caused the same type of pain that you're describing).
    3) Used a little bit of Lansinoh (Lanolin) on the areolas before pumping, decreases friction like PP mentioned and also help to seal better.
    5) Took fenugreek (herbal supplement) 2 capsules - 3 times a day per 1 week after that I discontinued.
    6) Pumped 10-12 times per day until my supply increased. In the begging I could barely catch-up with my DS's demand but after a few weeks, I was able to only pump 6-8 times per day and still have enough to freeze.

This link has some good info also:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/index.html

I hope this helps. The beginning is hard but hang in there mama and please let us know how you're doing.

this link as well:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html
    The first few months are so trying. Please hang in there, we are here for you mama.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

Just wanted to bump this up and stress (like others have said) that you should try to have baby to breast as much as possible as your baby is the best pump. Also, some women have results with fenugreek seed pills to increase milk supply. http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html

Again, drink lots of water and make sure you are eating enough. Good luck and let us know how you are doing

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Thank you everyone.. any and all suggestions/tips are accepted with open arms.
    I've never heard of power pumping and I will for sure try it as well as I found a lactation consultant at the hospital I delivered and happily have an appointment on monday.

I know that your suppost to drink tons of fluids and eat 500 extra calories a day but a few suggested oatmeal? What factor does that have on breastfeeding? I've never been told anything on that before.

I have one more question. I try to nurse every 3 hours but my baby falls asleep at the breast everytime when I wake her to keep going she just crys until she gets a bottle. Is it that she trys to suck and gets nothing gives up? Or could there be something in my milk that is affecting her?

Thank you for all you help and support so far

Don't know why oatmeal works but it does. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will let you know. I just figure, it's quick, yummy and increases bm so why not! Even if she doesn't suck long you need the stimulation and she needs to remember breasts = food. Don't get discouraged and don't unlatch her if she doesn't herself. That way with the comfort and subconcious sucking you are still stimulating your breasts and usually this will give you additional letdowns. sometimes you have to be sneaky to encourage them to bf.