Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Double Letdown!!

Default Re: Double Letdown!!

Quote Originally Posted by NolaMomma View Post
    Funny thing is I just assumed all breasts worked like this...didn't think it was a problem.

I thought it was normal too. Breast pads feel very awkward to me so I carry baby washclothes to fold and place inside my bra to avoid leaking along with a padded bra for backup

It gets better with time but I am almost six months in and breast pads are a part of my weekly shopping list! Sounds like you probably have a great supply though and thats something to be thankful for!

Talking Re: Double Letdown!!

Quote Originally Posted by McQuarter Cat View Post
    I have the same problem. Milk literally sprays out of the unused breast. I even have letdown sometimes when my DD isn't nursing (all I have to do is hear her cry or think about nursing) and can soak through pads, bra and shirt in under a minute. I stick a spit up rag in my bra when I'm at home and double up on nursing pads when I'm out. Another useful thing to do is to pump one side while you're nursing the other. It cuts down on the mess and I feel like at least the milk isn't going to waste. Of course, my freezer is completely full of breastmilk bags now, but hey, it's there if I need it. When I was breastfeeding my DS, I was known to walk around the house without a shirt and with a dish towel stuffed in my bra.
    Holy cow I am having Dejavu! LOL!! This has been happening to me too... While nursing my first child, I never experienced this quite to the extreme, and after about a month, the letdowns let up.. and I didn't leak or spray... so I didn't have to wear pads or whatnot... This time... double letdown, AND I have to wear 2 pads on each side... I even have to wear a bra at night just so I can have pads to soak up the mess! Either that or walk around with a dish towel like you. Glad I'm not the only one doing this.

Wait, this is NOT normal? Seriously, I thought wearing pads 24/7 was normal, as was double letdown....
    I'm just learning through this group that I probably have OALD and OS....

Quote Originally Posted by Piparue View Post
    I thought it was normal too. Breast pads feel very awkward to me so I carry baby washclothes to fold and place inside my bra to avoid leaking along with a padded bra for backup
    I did the same thing, until I started to soak through those...

...Let's just say I ended up getting cloth diapers, not for him, but for me.
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.
    Born 12/28/07 6lbs, 12oz 20" long
    @ 20wks: 16.5 lbs, 27" long

I to my little man! (It's the only way I can get things done!)

The first month postpartum I never wore breast pads, and then on my first day to work (which was only like an hour) I left to come home and feed my baby and I leaked through my top I didn't actually realise until I was home and went to the bathroom and saw myself in the mirror, lol. I was thinking about my daughter on the drive home, lol.

After that day, I wore breast pads 24/7, they work wonders!

hahahahaha i thought everyone experienced this! wow. i really didn't know this.

i have been nursing my son for over 5 months now and i've been wearing lansinoh breastpads 24/7. seriously. and i change them at least 2-4 times a day because they get SOAKED. i am talking, very heavy and soaked.

everytime i nurse on one side, the other lets down and it just sprays and sprays. if i didn't wear breastpads, i would be a mess. i guess i am just used to it now and keep extras in my purse and diaper bag...i don't even think twice about it anymore!

WAHM and exclusively breastfeeding my naturally born son since 9/25/07.

Quote Originally Posted by la_baby01 View Post
    hahahahaha i thought everyone experienced this! wow. i really didn't know this.

i have been nursing my son for over 5 months now and i've been wearing lansinoh breastpads 24/7. seriously. and i change them at least 2-4 times a day because they get SOAKED. i am talking, very heavy and soaked.

everytime i nurse on one side, the other lets down and it just sprays and sprays. if i didn't wear breastpads, i would be a mess. i guess i am just used to it now and keep extras in my purse and diaper bag...i don't even think twice about it anymore!
    Yup. This was me too. I thought it was a normal part of breastfeeding when DS was little. It took a good IBCLC to help me to realize that the constant leaking and engorgement were linked to my son's fussiness.