Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double Letdown!!

Thumbs down Double Letdown!!

This has got to be the most annoying thing... Once I start to BF on one side, the other side lets down as well!! It's not just a little bit either, milk literally pours out of the unused breast. Any suggestions on what to do?? I'm sick and tired of soaking my bra and my shirt...and sticking to both.
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.
    Born 12/28/07 6lbs, 12oz 20" long
    @ 20wks: 16.5 lbs, 27" long

I to my little man! (It's the only way I can get things done!)

Default Re: Double Letdown!!

Hi,

Many moms find that the easiest thing to do is to tuck a cloth diaper or towel into their bra while they are nursing their little one. For breastfeeding in public, a high-absorbancy disposable nursing pad (and a stash of extras in your diaper bag or purse) can be a big help during the early weeks when OALD is at it's strongest. Wearing loose fitting clothing, like a big sweater, can also give you a little more discretion to deal with OALD in public. Most mothers find that the strength of that letdown decreases over time, making life a lot less messy.

Hang in there,

Tiana

how old is your baby?
    it will get beter over time.

He is two weeks old as of today.

This seems to be a commonality in my family. Both my mother and my sister experienced this for nearly a year after the birth of their children. Is there any hope for me to avoid a similar fate?
    Some say he blows out his diapers just so he can stay naked longer... and that if you take him to IKEA, he will try to chat up the brightly colored sample rooms on display in the store. All we know is, he's called THE LANCE.
    Born 12/28/07 6lbs, 12oz 20" long
    @ 20wks: 16.5 lbs, 27" long

I to my little man! (It's the only way I can get things done!)

My oversupply and overactive let down issues just resolved at 4.5 months. I still put a cloth diaper in my bra on the other side just in case. My recommendation is to just feed on cue and to try block nursing which will calm down the oversupply and hence the letdown. Your hereditary info is interesting too though. Good luck and congrats on your newborn.
    Jenny B.
    Mom to Maximilian Kelly
    for over one year and ing it!

Mine does the same thing. Yes It's highly annoying. lol I'm constantly changing pads bc of it. And putting burp cloths in ur bra help a ton.

I have the same problem. Milk literally sprays out of the unused breast. I even have letdown sometimes when my DD isn't nursing (all I have to do is hear her cry or think about nursing) and can soak through pads, bra and shirt in under a minute. I stick a spit up rag in my bra when I'm at home and double up on nursing pads when I'm out. Another useful thing to do is to pump one side while you're nursing the other. It cuts down on the mess and I feel like at least the milk isn't going to waste. Of course, my freezer is completely full of breastmilk bags now, but hey, it's there if I need it. When I was breastfeeding my DS, I was known to walk around the house without a shirt and with a dish towel stuffed in my bra.

I have a double OALD and have come to accept that breast pads are part of my life now. Funny thing is I just assumed all breasts worked like this...didn't think it was a problem.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Mine got better over time (4-6 months), but they still drip from time to time.

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

I'm with nolamomma, I thought it was normal!! I have to wear breastpads 24/7 or I would be a mess.