Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screaming!

Default Screaming!

My LO screams and screams like as if she I am hurting her, and she won't eat, she doesn't have a dirty diaper, I've tried a cold teether in her mouth and she doesn't want it, and I put Orajel in her mouth too and she still screams. I even hold her close and rock her and she still screams. I have ran out of ideas. Any suggestions? She is 4 months old. And I know that they get fussy at this time but she just seem way too fussy, and I don't know what it could be.

Default Re: Screaming!

When does she scream? Is she drooling a lot? Pulling on her ears?

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

She drools a lot, but doesn't pull her ears. She's been drooling a lot ever since she was 3 months old. I feel like she hasn't eatin really well and I have a doctors appointment tomorrow for her and I don't want them to tell me that she isn't eating enough because I just want to BF. She only eats for like 4 minutes on both sides and then just screams after that, so I have to stop and go back to it later. But she will only take the breast like ever 3 or 4 hours apart. I have trying feeding her ever 1 to 2 hours but she just won't take until 3 or 4 hours have past. Sometimes not even taking it at all. I not doing supplement, because I really don't want her to have formula. What do I do?

Hi, It may be teething. My daughter started to teeth bad around 3-4 months. She didnt actually break a tooth till 6 months but when she did she got like 6 all at once. I read it can takes months for the first teeth to come in. My daughter was so cranky and she has always only feed maybe 5 minutes at a feeding. She gained great so I didnt really worry. Hope she feels better soon.
    Isabella Grace 4/3/07, Elijah 6yrs, Logan 8yrs

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by mommy shur shur View Post
    She drools a lot, but doesn't pull her ears. She's been drooling a lot ever since she was 3 months old. I feel like she hasn't eatin really well and I have a doctors appointment tomorrow for her and I don't want them to tell me that she isn't eating enough because I just want to BF. She only eats for like 4 minutes on both sides and then just screams after that, so I have to stop and go back to it later. But she will only take the breast like ever 3 or 4 hours apart. I have trying feeding her ever 1 to 2 hours but she just won't take until 3 or 4 hours have past. Sometimes not even taking it at all. I not doing supplement, because I really don't want her to have formula. What do I do?
    My ds did this very thing and I found he just had to burp. After he eats (and eats plenty), he may do this also because he's very tired. Does this happen at certain times of the day or at every feeding?

Does she make enough wet diapers?

Teething at four months is possible, but at the very least, the drool could be just getting herself ready to start solids.

Could it be possible to have oversupply or overactive let-down issues?

Hi MSS, I sent you a pm. LMK if you don't get it and I'll post it all here.

"Don't toush da mango"

I had problems with not enough milk before. Like she wasn't having enough wet diapers, not pooping right and not gaining enough. But i think we are ok now. It always happens at night mostly and sometimes in the day.

If you're seeing enough wet/dirty diapers then you may have worked out your low supply issues but that does not mean that you couldn't have gone in the other direction and have OALD. When she seems unhappy do you feel full? Try to hand express a little to see how powerful a stream you have. You can always try express a little BM before you nurse her.

It is very likely that she is teething. My DD started teething at around 2 months but I didn't see any teeth until she was about 9 months I think. There was also a bit of gassiness around the age of your LO too. Be sure to burp your LO when you switch sides or after nursing. My DD wouldn't burp for me at all but about 20 minutes after I nursed her she would burp herself.

One more thing, this screaming cannot be good for your confidence, but you are doing the right thing in seeking to find out what's affecting your LO and attempting to fix the problem. Try to make sure that you are getting enough nutrients and fluids to maintain that supply that you worked so hard to establish and know that it does get better. I hope this helps.

"Don't toush da mango"

we had similar problems... our son was so gassy, he couldn't pass it or poop, and you could tell it was very painful. he would scream and cry, thrash and pump his legs for hours... i eliminated dairy from my diet and that seemed to do the trick. turns out some babies cannot digest the milk proteins (caseins) in their early months of life (not to be confused w/ lactose intolerance). there are other food allergies that can cause similar behavior as well, such as nuts and wheat.

Have you tried wearing baby? I didn't realize babies go through a fussy 4mo phase but now everything is starting to make sense. What I would do if my lo drove to my limit or if I was hungry or needed to get something done was wear him on my back and he would calm down. All the time he was fussy he just wanted to be held...or played with.

My lo isn't a big cryer at all but I've noticed that when he does fuss distraction helps a lot. When he's about to fuss and he's perfectly fine, needs no diaper change, isn't tired, is burped..etc, I'll clap my hands or sing or grab one of his toys with lights and loud sounds and that changes his mood.

Also, double check that your little one isn't tired. My little man will fight his sleep until he can't anymore. This is one of the only time he'll get fussy too. Sometimes it takes me an hour or more just to put him to sleep.

Lastly, if hubby is available, or anyone that knows how to care for baby, ask them to give you at least 15min of rest time. Dealing with constant fussiness day after day, specially if you're not used to it, really wears you down.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!