Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: just started daycare

Default just started daycare

Hi ladies! I'm looking for some help here. My DS 16 wks old just started daycare this week. All last week he was with an RN/lactation consultant who helped us (without success) on a bottle. He only took a few sips here/there and while I was gone for 8 hrs he only took 3oz. Tried all sorts of different bottles without any real luck-small luck on Gerber latex which of course he doesn't like at daycare. At daycare he's refusing the bottle but will accept it if it's gently squirted into his mouth a little at a time or spoonfed. Cup feeding hasn't worked either. He's hungry but doesn't seem to know how to suck? Although he eats just fine with me-a whopping 18 lbs! and will suck on a pinky slightly-refuses pacifiers as well. Thankfully they've gotten 3oz into him during a 4.5hr period via this method. We're working our way up to a full 10hr day by Friday (today is Tuesday). He nurses well when we come home, but is extremely tired and seems to konk out right after nursing for the rest of the afternoon. Thankfully I'm also able to pump about 10-13 oz each session so there's an abundance all around-he just wants it from me. I work 1 hr away so I can't even go and nurse him at lunch.

Questions:
    Is this normal and should I be concerned if he doesn't take much milk at daycare? (e.g. is 3-4 oz in a day ok?)
    Will this eventually even out?
    what about being so tired?
    any hints? this is killing me that he doesn't eat well (on top of the fact that I hate him having to go to daycare)

I'm looking for some support and suggestions if anyone has them. Thank you!
    Last edited by moeween; June 20th, 2006 at 06:19 PM.

Default Re: just started daycare

Adjusting to daycare is hard for everyone - mother, baby, and provider. It will get better!

As long as baby is nursing lots at home, 3-4oz the first few days is fine. He will probably slowly start to take more as he adjusts to daycare. Have your providers try many different positions - nursing position, football hold, facing out, in a sling, in a baby seat, etc. Could also try adjusting temperature of bottle - not too cold, not too hot.

He's tired in the evening from all the excitement of being in a new daycare, and having a full belly after nursing.

Is there any way you can get over there to see once per day? Maybe at lunchtime? Just to make reassure yourself that he's eating something during the day.

Other options for feeding - go down the sippy cup aisle. There are tons of styles, some with soft silicon tops. Maybe he'd like one of those.

Medicine droppers are another option.

This will get better, as everyone adjusts. Just like you and he had to learn how to live together and nurse when he was a newborn, he's having to learn a new caregiver's patterns and how to get food from them.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

the baby might start to eat more at night when he is with you to make up for not being with you during the day.
    good luck!

We use the adiri breast bottle. It most mimic's the breast. My 4 month old uses it 3 times a day. www.adiri.com

Boy do I remember this! I thought my daughter was going to starve while at daycare even though she was 90th%ile and growing. She did not like bottles and never really took them well. Since she was exclusively BF to 8 1/2 mos and started daycare at 4 mos, it was a challenge.
    AT this point I would recommend dropping your son off early and nursing before your commute to work as well as immediately upon pick up. He will begin to associate his favorite thing (BF) with daycare (and it may help ease your mind a little). Co-sleeping will also help him catch up at night if needed. Best of luck, it will get better!

Thank you. We already (mostly) co-sleep and I'm able to nurse him at daycare before we go home. I ordered the adiri bottle and hope it works. They got 3oz in him today w/him playing with the bottle/biting it and another 5 oz via mixed in with food or chewing on the bottle. Any which way, right? Thank you everyone for your input about the bottle; let's hope it continues to get better. Thankfully he's in a daycare with a very understanding teacher who can spend the extra time with him on this issue.
    Last edited by moeween; June 22nd, 2006 at 05:02 PM.

8oz in a day is pretty normal, actually. Breastfed infants typically take 1-1.5oz per hour that they are apart from mom. So, if you and your baby are separated for about 8hrs, then 8oz is right on target.

This will get better, and it will be easier to get her to eat as she adjusts. :-)
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Quote Originally Posted by ctkubis
    We use the adiri breast bottle. It most mimic's the breast. My 4 month old uses it 3 times a day. www.adiri.com
    That is sooo cool. I've never seen that.
    Jill
    Wife to Steven, mom to ds Noah (11), ds Oliver (4), dss Peter (11), Linus (2), and 2 in heaven.

Buy Eco-friendly Handmade at GaGa Bum
    Blogaholic ~ SERENITY NOW!

I would definitely have invested in the Adiri bottle if I'd know about it when my daughter was an infant.