Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: still beneficial after two?

Default still beneficial after two?

Hi,
    My daughter just turned two and still nurses to sleep at nap and bed time. I wonder if the benefits of breast milk are still present? I really don't even think there is much milk there, but there is some and I wonder if the benefits are still there even though the supply and quality are much different from the very early months. Thanks! Christine

Default Re: still beneficial after two?

The less milk, the higher concentration of colostrum. And we know what wonderful stuff colostrum is. Plus it is just so pleasant for those little ones, isn't it? A happy childhood is beneficial. Plus, there's jaw alignment issues. Many, if not most, two year olds still have a need to suck and, at least in my observations and personal experience, if they are getting that during their special time with mommy, they aren't turning to the thumb or pacifier. So the jaw is better off.

I'm sure other moms will chime in with the links to kellymom.com that tell what's in the milk and what the benefits are for toddlers.

Please take a moment to check out this link from KellyMom

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

Truly, the benefits are endless.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Congratulations on your wonderful nursing relationship so far.
    Here are some articles and stories from LLL:
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBextended.html
    The nutritional and health benefits are real, along with the emotional benefits and opportunities for bonding.
    Hugs,
    Mary

if child is nursing 3-4 times in 24 hours then they don't need any extra cows milk!