Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Relactation

Default Relactation

I have also been trying for almost 3 wks now to start breastfeeding again my almost 5 month old daughter after 2 1/2 months of not BF. I have tried manual pumping, fenugreek, oatmeal, and the baby latching at night, but nothing yet. Does this mean I will not be able to make more milk? This is making me nuts... Help!

Default Re: Relactation

No, it doesn't mean that you will not be able to make more milk. This takes such an amazing amount of time. It is great that the baby will nurse at night. Is your baby hungry at night? Is baby used to eating at night? I have noticed that my son will only flutter suck if he is good and full. (I am NOT saying that you should starve your baby, rather if he doesn't get frustrated, nurse him first before you feed him. Or nurse him using a supplementer such as the Supplemental Nursing System by Medela or a LactAid -- with a tube delivering the supplement to the breast. This will stimulate the breast to make milk).

Some have been able to relactate with baby nursing (and those that have, please speak up). My experience has been that a hospital grade double pump is willing to keep "sucking" when a baby is not.

How often are you pumping? It takes a lot of stimulation. Are you pumping in the ball park of 10-12 times per day for around 10 minutes? I started when my son was 4 months after 3 months of not breastfeeding. He only needs 8 oz of formula, now.

Why did you stop bfing in the first place? Was everything "working" when you stopped? How was your supply before you stopped? These can all be clues. But keep working. It takes time, but you will see milk with enough stimulation. First come sticky drops. Then a drip. Then comes a spray. It is heart wrenching, but exciting.

Thanks for responding. For the first 3 months I BF my girl and everything worked the way it should. I had to stop because my dad had a triple by pass and between the hospital and BF it became overwhelming, so I stopped BF. Now that my dad is better I would like to start BF again. I am pumping about 5 times a day with a manual pump and I also have the baby latching on about 5 times a day. I am finally seeing small drops but nothing major. The baby stays on the breast for about 3 to 5 minutes and then starts to get angry so I assume she is not getting any milk. I know this is not going to be easy but I owe it to my daughter to try my best to get the milk supply back.

I suggest you rent a hospital grade pump and start removing milk more frequently. Would every two to three hours be too hard? A manual pump isn't made to establish a milk supply.

Hello and ,

It sounds like you are off to a good start. As previous posters have mentioned, relactation does take time, but it is worth the effort. Remember, every drop of your milk that baby gets will benefit her in so many ways.

Have you checked out the sticky at the top of this forum? It has lots of great information to help you develop a strategy that works for you and your baby. There have been a lot of successful relactating mommies on this board. I'm sure a few more of them will share there experiences with you.

Keep us posted, and feel free to ask any questions you need!

Tiana

If you have been pumping for about 3 wks, then you are right on time to be seeing those drops. Have you rented the hospital grade pump, yet? I couldn't increase milk until I did. It is really important. Try to pump a minimum of 10 times a day, after baby nurses. The beginning is the roughest part. Keep up the good work. I believe in you!

Oh wow! Another relactating lady! LOL

Hi!

I think it's really AWESOME that you are trying to give your baby breast milk again. It's such a very time consuming and often emotional process, but from what you've written it seems like you're on the right track.
    Having a latch at all is an amazing feat in itself. That is what will get your supply up faster than anything. And I think she is getting some milk, which is a great start. Babies remove milk much better and faster than a pump.
    I'd say keep doing what you're doing. Keep putting her to the breast. When she gives up one, put her to the other one. Then once she is done, you can pump to signal to your body to make more.
    When you pump, do you also use your hands to remove milk from the breast? I hardly get anything from pumping unless I literally squeeze the milk out with my hands by applying pressure to the breast tissue.
    Pump at least 2 hours during the day and every 3 to 4 hours at night, even if she doesn't eat.
    A lot of the ladies here have been having success with various galactagogues like Fenugreek, Goat's Rue and even oatmeal. None of these have really been working for me, but I seem to be a freak of nature so don't use me as an example. LOL

Best of luck!
    Last edited by a_hex; February 4th, 2008 at 11:10 AM.

A-Hex, you are not a freak of nature! I have one more remedy to throw at you. You said in another post a long while back that your AF is heavy. I am wondering if you have tried the Calcium/Magnesium thing, yet? It maybe helpful. The advice I read was to supplement Calcium before meals and Magnesium after meals. Calcium is a galactagogue! Worth a try, right?

I will try anything at this point. I am also trying the SNS. She will not latch on with the tube there. Any suggestions?

This video helped me understand a bit better how the SNS works and how it could be used differently than the usual instructed use:
    http://www.drjacknewman.com/anthony/...tion%20aid.wmv