Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: CLW and nursing to sleep

Default CLW and nursing to sleep

I think I may have asked this question before, but don't remember. . I'll blame it on mommy brain LOL.

For those who chose child lead weaning, and or are planning on using it. . .how did/didn't your nighttime/naptime routine change? Example, currently we are doing bath, then story and cuddling, then nursing to sleep. So if I switched it up and nursed before the story, but didn't let dd fall asleep, and then read a story and rocked her to sleep. . .eventually would she desire to "skip" the nursing?? Or will she do that on her own no matter where it is in our routine.

I am perfectly happy to nurse her to sleep currently, and love our co-sleeping cuddles, and nursing throughout the night. I'm just curious how she will just "grow out of it" or not "need" to nurse to fall asleep anymore?

thanks for listening, please share your thoughts and stories!
    Cloth Diapering & Family, SAHMomma to Joel (5/04) and & to Hannah (6/06) and devoted wife to Joel

Default Re: CLW and nursing to sleep

I tried to type a response but I simply can't imagine DD not nursing to sleep! I better make sure our routine is rock solid so she can figure it out eventually. I have no clue!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

We started switching up the routine when DS was super distractable and when he was on strikes (around 6 months.) Since then, sometimes he nurses to sleep, but more often, Daddy reads and rocks him to sleep. Until the last few months, I would then take him and nurse him after he was asleep. DS is almost 2 now and sometimes he will nurse an hour or so before bed, fall asleep with Daddy, then go straight to his bed. So, for him, he is gradually less dependent on nursing before bed. Now night wakings are an entirely different matter...

With my ds, as he approached age 2, nursing to sleep just didn't work anymore. We had to bring other things into the routine because of that. We played around with the order of things and eventually settled on nursing downstairs with mama, then he would go upstairs with daddy for the rest of the routine. We continued to parent to sleep, however, cuddling, reading, etc.
    With my dd, she successfully and easily nursed to sleep through age 3 and close to age 4. Then it simply got less reliable. She would nurse but not totally fall asleep all the time. So I would stay with her and snuggle. Now the nursing is mostly symbolic (very brief) and some nights she doesn't even ask, she'll fall asleep while we are reading.
    Even though she nursed to sleep so easily for so long, if I happened to be out for the evening, she would go to sleep cuddling with daddy. (It wasn't her preference, mind you, but she would accept it, .)
    It's always OK to make changes if the nighttime routine isn't working for you, but if it's working for everyone, it's alright to keep riding the horse in that direction, too. Over time, what they need will change.

nursing to sleep was the last nursing to go for my dd..
    she out grew naps before nursing.

We are in the process of this right now. I don't mind nursing to sleep, but lately dd (15 mos) hasn't been 'asking' for it when she's sleepy. It's almost like it doesn't occur to her to want it even though I can tell she's sleepy. I had to overcome my own desire to offer it to her because I know that it's the easiest way for me to get her to sleep. So I've been trying to comply with the don't offer, don't refuse method (harder than I thought it would be!) and it's been working. Most of the time she will eventually ask for it after crawling around in my lap and dozing for about half an hour and then she'll fall immediately to sleep once I finally give it to her.

The mid-night feedings I've discovered that if I pat her back or chest instead of immediately offering the breast when she wakes, most of the time she will actually go back to sleep on her own (we cosleep) and it's been a really nice break for me. I am awake a little bit longer, but I'm sleeping more comfortably because she is now willing to cuddle with Daddy more and I can lay on my back instead of balancing on my side with a pillow behind me. And I can get up to go pee without waking her, which my bladder is happy about.

Anyway, good luck!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks everyone! I asked because nursing to sleep always worked, and now for the past few days we've been struggling. She'll ask to nurse, then just before she's asleep she stops nursing, wants to get down to play. I encourage her to either nurse more, or I'll rock and cuddle. . .but she's asserting her independence right now, so I'm trying to be flexible. Praying it's just a stage. . .and something we can overcome quickly! I'd love to send her up with daddy after nursing, but he's parenting our 3.5 year old to sleep! thanks again!
    Cloth Diapering & Family, SAHMomma to Joel (5/04) and & to Hannah (6/06) and devoted wife to Joel