Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: YIKES! plugged duct or breast abscess?

Default YIKES! plugged duct or breast abscess?

how can you tell if you have a plugged duct versus a breast abscess? i pump exclusively and have a spot that has been sore for some time (maybe a few weeks) under my right arm pit. it's not red, but it is painful to touch, and the spot/lumps doesn't seem to be going away. i try massaging it when i pump, which helps some, but the lumps never entirely leave. i had never heard of a breast abscess until yesterday when i came across the term while reading a book about breastfeeding. i didn't think much about the painful spot i have under my arm pit until i read about this in the book and wondered, gosh is that what i have? do i have an abscess i wondered?

also, does anyone have any suggestions on how to treat this, whatever it is? thanks for any help!

Default Re: YIKES! plugged duct or breast abscess?

Check out this page - may help you determine the issue
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

do you have a fever?
    I think most of the time moms the abscesses run fevers.

no fever, just a hard/sore lump under the armpit that doesn't seem to go away even after pumping

did you check out the link... probably not mastitis w/o a fever but check it out.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

i did check out the link. i have had mastitis before. it is not mastitis. i am sure it is a plugged duct, or possibly a breast abscess - i am just not sure how you tell the difference between the latter and what you do to get rid of a breast abscess.

thanks for your help!

If I am not mistaken an abcess would come from mastitis, so if it's not mastitis its not an abscess - kwim?? THat is to say abscess and mastitis are pretty much one in the same.

see more here.

quote from that page
    Here is what I learned. Abcesses are rare, occurring in 3-11 percent of women who have infectious mastitis. Abscesses can also develop with a recurrent plug that keeps occurring in the same spot. Abscesses can be diagnosed either by aspiration (lanced and drained with a needle by your doctor) or by ultrasound. If you are having an ultrasound, be sure to empty your breasts as much as possible before the test so that the technicians can more easily read the results. If you have an abscess aspirated, ask your doctor to culture the fluid that is drawn out so that an appropriate antibiotic can be prescribed.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

in reading that i wasn't sure if all came from mastitis, b/c it also says, "recurrent plug that keeps occurring in the same spot." so maybe they can come from a plugged duct that keeps occuring in the same spot, that is not mastitis?

in any event, has anyone here ever had a plugged duct or breast abscess?

bump