Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Freezing and Prepping

Default Freezing and Prepping

We're doing mostly BLS. Any tips on freezing foods to have them ready in advance? Fruits, veggies? Do I steam/cook and just stick them in a container, or what? (I'm not a big freezer of already-made foods, so I really don't know.) How long can I keep them frozen? What about potatoes? Do I cut into french-fry pieces, bake, and THEN freeze? And how do I make avocado?

Geez, so many questions!

ETA: And when we're talking french fry size, do y'all make them skinny fries, like shoestring fries, or thicker, like steak fries? Just wondering.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Smile Re: Freezing and Prepping

Wish I could help, but I can't. Can tell you this though, do not freeze potatoes, they dont hold well in the freezer and they astes disgusting once thawed. hope someone else will give you better advice

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Freezing and Prepping

I blanch things before freezing. Steam for a couple of minutes and then quickly cool. You need to open freeze them (on a tray so they are not touching) and then put into bags once frozen, otherwise they stick in one big lump. The time you need to blanch for depends on how hard the veg is. You don't want to actually cook it through as freezing will soften it too and when thawed you'd end up with mush. You can probably google for timings.

I have made potato wedges and frozen them. they taste fine when they come out, but they are a bit more floury than normal.

And I cut into what we brits call "fat chip" size. about 1cm thick (just under half an inch).

I try to use home frozen things up within 4-6 weeks.

I have no idea about avocado, but I'd be keen to know!

we do mostly table foods what ever we are eating...
    For the avacado I would just give it to them fresh and share what ever they wouldn't eat... not much help I know but its so darn good there isn't any left if I share it.

We are just starting BLS, so I haven't done this yet for DD, but now that you got me thinking about it, I think I'll get some things ready this weekend to freeze! But here is what I do for our veggies...I got a vacuum sealer for my birthday and it is totally awesome (I could write a whole post about it) but I blanch veggies like pp said, and freeze for an hour or so spread out on a cookie sheet. Then I vacuum pack individual servings (enough for a meal) and they will last in the freezer for ....well, at least year. Then when you are ready for them, just clip the corner off the bag and microwave and it gets steamed in the bag. It's so easy! I do the prep work when daddy is watching dd, then making meals is so fast! HTH
    Married to my best friend since 2001 , Proud mom of my baby girl Ella 6/19/07

"A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world." John 16:21

Thanks, mamas! Andrea, we do a lot of table food too, and I am cooking more and more fresh foods that can ALL eat, but every so often it would be nice to have something prepped. I have never done avocado before--what do I do with it?
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

avocados - just cut in half (long ways) take the stone out and the skin off. easy.

You can put the half with the stone in into a plastic bag and refridgerate for a couple of days. it might go a little black, but it's ok if it's not too ripe.

If you squirt lime on the avacado, it should help keep it from turning brown. But, some people like to avoid citrus fruits until 1 year because they can be a high allergy food. From what I've read, you can not freeze avacado. I usually just eat them fresh and don't save the left overs because of the turning brown thing...it grosses me out. What I do for veggies is I just buy already frozen bags from the store. When I cook meals, I usually use fresh (depending on the veggy), but for snacks or something, I just pour some out of the bag and microwave. Frozen veggies are usually a good option because they are frozen at the peak of freshness. You can buy them organic too if you want. I think it saves a lot of time. Store bought frozen fruit, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have as much flavor. I'll use it for smoothies for my daughter, but I try to stick to fresh fruit for snacks. Although, I will throw some frozen blueberries into oatmeal or pancakes. I don't know if fruit you freeze yourself would have the same flavor issue or not. I wouldn't cook it first, if you are going to do it. Just wash, cut and flash freeze (like the pp said with freezing on the cookie sheet first), then put into an airtight container. Hope that helped. Good luck!
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)