Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: flushed baby when eating

Default flushed baby when eating

lately my 4 mo ds has been getting flushed, but only in spots, almosts looks like he is getting hives or something like that, not bumps just red patches. today i noticed that his neck and back get like that too. i'm not really worried, just curious about why this happens. he isn't crying or anything before he eats, i thought maybe that was doing it at first. any thoughts?

Default Re: flushed baby when eating

I have no idea why this happens, but I could have written your post. My ds gets really flushed, but is patchy too when he nurses. I have noticed it is worse when my letdown is really strong, I thought it just had to do with him working hard to eat??

wow, I always thought my DS just looked "rosy cheeked" after nursing. He did get some sort of acne-type bumps but I found that seemed to be caused by the abundant saliva he has been manufacturing. Once I started making sure to pat him dry they basically went away.

Is your ds fair? My son is VERY fair and was VERY red-cheeked every time he nursed. For us, it was nothing to worry about, just a sure sign that he'd just eaten!

yes, my son is very fair. my heritage is what i call a 'british isles mutt' and my husband is scandinavian. so yes, quite fair, blue eyes, light brown/reddish hair. his skin will be screaming for sunscreen i'm sure his entire life.

i'm glad to know others see this in their babes too. and i too have noticed that there may be a correlation between a stronger letdown and the flushed skin.

I kept meaning to ask about this. DS gets splotchy and sometimes sweaty when he nurses. DS is not that fair though. Glad to see that it seems somewhat common. Anyone hazard an explanation?

My DS gets a bit cool and sweaty when he nurses. It's weird, but doesn't seem to bother him, so I wasn't worried about it.
    First time Mommy to Alexander - Born Jan 15, 2006

My dd does the same thing. My dh gets all flushed when he exerts himself; he says they are both furnaces!

Hi,

My dd get rosy cheeked when nursing too. I just always assumed it was from being up so close to my warm body. I've never worried about it.

I wouldn't worry its normal for them to get all rosy cheeked. nursing is hard work my daughter looks like she's run a marathon after a good long nursing session. no worries!