Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breastfeeding & crying it out

Default breastfeeding & crying it out

My LO is almost 11 months and does not sleep throught the night. On a good night she will only wake twice. Nurse for a few mins and go back to sleep. She usually wakes about 3 - 4 times a night. Has anyone tried the Ferber method of crying it out even though she is use to nursing at night to fall asleep? It seems so harsh, but I am back to work soon. Any ideas? Thanks.

Default Re: breastfeeding & crying it out

I have not. And I don't plan on it. CIO just doesn't cut it for me. I have worked FT since DS was 6 weeks, you can do it!!!!! It is a little difficult at first, but your body gets used to it. DS STILL doesn't sleep through the night waking 2-4 times a night. I would however try to work on other ways to get her to fall asleep. i rock and read a sotry
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I started cosleeping when I went back to work and it really helped me get a lot more sleep at night. The first time she wakes dh gets her from her crib and brings her to me. I wake up just long enough to latch her on and then I'm back to sleep. It works great for us.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Have you read "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley?
    There are ideas in there that you may feel more comfortable with.

my son started sleeping through the night when he was 4 months old. i was gone a lot on business trips and my husband wouldn't hear him crying sometimes so he learned to self-soothe. he wakes up now at night if he's sick or teething or extremely hungry. in those cases we get up and tend to his needs. other times, we have let him cry himself back to sleep. if i know that he's safe and fed and has a clean diaper, but just wants attention because he likes being with us, we let him cry. i know most people on this forum would absolutely disagree with that, but that is what we choose to do and it has worked for us.

Im in the minority also. We chose to CIO when ds was getting next to no sleep and nothing was getting him down. Not nursing, rocking, walking, driving, swinging, co-sleeping, hanging upside down. Nothing would work. He got to the point that he was not going to sleep until midnight-1am. I knew I had to do something. CIO was against everything I had ever believed in, but I knew he was suffering. Not to mention my toddler was suffering during the day when I was so tired I couldnt parent her. On his 6mo birthday (the earliest I would do this, even then I wasnt sure) we bit the bullet. It was hard. I cried just as long as he did those first couple nights. Now, just a few weeks later, I feed him, we read a book, say prayers, sing a song, I tell him I love him, give a kiss and lay him down. He smiles at me, puts his head down, and drifts off to sleep. Very rarely do we hear from him till the early morning. He goes down at 6:30pm-7am. With an occational feeding at around 4-5am. He is so happy and rested and loving, and so are the rest of us. I know many dont agree with what I did, but it was for the health of my son. And as hard as it was, I dont regret it for one second.

Co-sleeping can really help minimize the impact of sleep interruptions and night-nursing, if that's something you are comfortable with. 11 months might be kinda young for night-weaning, IMHO.
    In addition to the Pantley book, this article might help, too. If you are interested in Dr. Gordon's methods, he really doesn't advocate pushing for changes until after the first year. Hang in there.