Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Update on Thrush Problem

Lightbulb Update on Thrush Problem

Hi! Since thrush seems to be a pretty popular problem, I thought I'd let everyone know what I found that is actually working for me.

At the advice of some on here, I purchased some grapefruit seed extract and probiotics from a health food store. (although I have since learned walgreens does carry a brand of probiotics for a lot less $$) The store owner suggested Kyo-Dophilus 9 which is kind of pricey but he said it is the best. It has 3 billion live cells per capsule which is the most I've found so far. I think the grapefruit seed extract is what has helped with the pain. I went from dreading those hungry noises my son makes when he wants to nurse (yesterday morning) to being ok with it (this morning). Hopefully in a couple of days the pain will be completely gone. I also think he feels that I am not dreading our nursing times...he had a HUGE smile for me while nursing this morning!!

My baby boy is still taking Nystatin and I am still using a couple of drops on my nipples...we have it anyway, might as well finish it. We're also going to take the probiotics and grapefruit seed extract until both are gone which is about a month's worth. We may purchase the less expensive probiotics to take on a regular basis after that. I refuse to get thrush again!!

Anyway that's it for now!! Hopefully in a few days I can report no pain!! Thank you SO much to those who responded to my questions!! I am so glad I came here!

Chrsitie

Default Re: Update on Thrush Problem

is your son on probiotics also? if so, how much and how does he take it?

He's on nystatin right now so I'm not giving him any right now. I'll start him on it when he's finished with the prescription. The owner of the health food store said he would get it through my milk anyway.

The directions on the bottle say to give half a capsule to infants. One person suggested mixing with a bit of water and using a syringe to give it to the baby.

Thank you SO much for your advise. I have thrush too, and been strugling with it for A MONTH!! I have had 4 doses of diflucan, and my baby had nystatin for 10 days (although the ped told me 5 and that she didn't had it yet). I washed my bras with clorox and hot water frequently, changed towels frequently, and used vinegar on my niples (read it on the LLL page) and I'am still in a lot of pain!

So, I'm going to follow your advise, to see if it works for me too.
    About the grapefruit seed extract I think I read you shouldn't use it for more than certain days, so I'll look for that, and let you know...

Thanks again!

Laura

About the grapefruit seed extract I think I read you shouldn't use it for more than certain days, so I'll look for that, and let you know...
    Sorry I got confused. The one you should use for 3 days only is the Gentian Violet Because is believe by some that it has risks of mouth cancer.

Oh well, sory! LOL

By the way, were did you purchase the grapefruit seed extract, at the health food? Because I couldn't get it at walgreens.
    Last edited by Arual; July 1st, 2006 at 08:10 PM.

hi christie, glad to hear you're on the road to recovery. actually once your boy's thrush clears, you don't need to give him the probiotics anymore. sometimes, overdoing something is also not good. just give what is nec. you can however, continue to take probiotics or yogurt drinks w/ live lacto bacili in it as alternative. i now only take probiotic capsules every 2 to 3 days.

like i mentioned previously, i did not even use the NYSTATIN and my paed NO-NOed the DIFLUCAN. these drugs may help clear it up but i've read about cases where it recurs again and again. our bodies get used to drugs and after a while, it doesn't work as well. why set your bb up for drug rejection at this age?! go the natural way, it'll take longer but it's better for you and him. GOOD LUCK!

ARUAL - see above. i didn't try the grapeseed extract, just the probiotics and it was great for bb and me. BB used LACTOGG and i just took OTC ones. his thrush cleared up within 3 weeks whilst DAKTARIN gel took 2 months with ABSOLUTELY NO effect. you may not want to wash your bra with CHLOROX, it might irritate your already sensitive nipples. just wash per normal or with hot water rinse if you worry. i just washed per normal using a handwash detergent.

hope you ladies get better soon!!

The only place I have found the grapefruit seed extract was at the health food store.

I also tried two rounds of diflucan that didn't work, and I think the nystatin helped but didn't actually take care of the problem. From now on, I'm going to find a more natural way of healing for whatever problems come up in the future first.

I am almost pain-free and my little guy is latching on better. I am finally getting away from the painful experiences we've been having with bf'ing. I'm so so glad I didn't stop this time like I did with my toddler. Getting more info and more support (a lot of sheer determination) has really been the key to making it work!!

Hi Christilee!
    I'm so glad you are doing better!! Congrats on been a good mom and fighting with the pain (which I can relate!! and know it's NOT easy!).
    ---------------------

Snort:
    Thanks for your advise!
    ---------------------

I'm still having some doubts about the dosis on acidophillus, I'll tell you what I'm doing:

Acidophilus---2 times a day and each caps has 1 billion live cells in it.

Miconazole---on my niples with a clean pad each time I can (which is kind of hard leaving it for a while with a 1 month baby who want's to breast feed all the time!! (of course I wash my breast before givin it to her).

Nystatin---on my baby 3 times a day (even dought I think she doesn't have it yet (nothing on her mouth).

Please someone correct me if I'm doing somethin wrong!
    The thing that worries me the most is the Nystatin on my baby.

Arual, if you don't see anything on bb's mouth, i suggest not using nystatin... just ask paed for a probiotic capsule which i diluted with just a drop or two of water and syringed it into bb's mouth. or just apply the powder (taken out from the capsule) directly.

it's ok to follow the dosage on the bottle but i didn't. i took only 1 instead of the 2 recommended and it still worked. when i started the probiotics, i didn't use any more drugs and just let nature take its course. like i mentioned, it takes a while but it's worth it.

christie, glad to hear you're better. you're right. info and support are totally empowering. i would have given up bf-ing long ago if i'd not gotten support too! as for going natural, there are times you have to administer drugs, we can't be too rigid on that... but yes, i would go natural for non-life threatening conditions like teething relief, thrush.

btw, ladies... i normally give my nipples a wipe with a damp cotton pad after bf-ing and try to dry it before covering up again. this discourages bacteria from growing after bb has left his mark on my nipples!

LLL recommends that both mother and baby be treated even if only one of them is showing symptoms of thrush. Otherwise the yeast just gets passed back and forth.

Also no need to wipe the nipples down before or after breastfeeding (unless you're using certain medications directly on the nipple). Breastmilk has anti-bacterial properties, and an actual bacterial infection of the nipple is somewhat rare (yeast is a fungus, not a bacteria). In the case of thrush, some women do find it helpful to use a mild vinegar and water solution on the nipples (see the link on thrush below).

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMayJun93p83.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov98p91.html

HTH
    Jen
    Last edited by LLL LactoJen; July 4th, 2006 at 11:11 AM.
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!