Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this worth it? Nipple shield weaning...

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: Is this worth it? Nipple shield weaning...

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    So I've been using nipple shields since my dd was born 3 and 1/2 months ago. I had tried before to have her feed without them and she always broke the latch relatively soon and seemed frustrated. Well I tried again today and she's fed three times without it The thing is I feel like I'm starting from scratch at 3 and 1/2 months (Is she latched on well? Is she getting enough?) I've been using the "sandwich method" and it looks right...

I guess my main question is if it's been working well for so long is it really worth going through the nipple pain and uncertainty that comes with giving up the nipple shield? I still enjoy breastfeeding with it, but always wish I'd never started her with it because it's such a hastle especially in public. Should I just keep doing what's been working for us?

Thanks!
    Absolutely, it was worth every bit of struggle we went through to now be off of it completely. Congrats!!! It's so much easier now that we don't have to fiddle with that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    BTW when she eats I hear a lot of swallowing and she seems just as content between feedings as before... A lactation consultant told me that at this age (3.5months), you really can't rely on counting diapers anymore, so I'm not sure if that's a reliable way for me to tell anymore since I haven't really been paying attention lately.
    If you hear and see her swallowing that's a good indication that she's getting milk. When my DD was that small I would also watch for the milk drool when she fell asleep at the breast. That told me that she was truly getting enough milk and that I was producing what she needed.

The finger in the mouth - I think once is fine just so you have an idea of how to position your breast when latching. K had a tight frenulum so I really had to make sure that she had a good yawn (wide open mouth) before I would attempt to nurse, otherwise it was a lot of clicking/gassiness on her part and pain and blanched nipples of my part. Once you have the latch right you can absolutely toss that NS.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Thanks again mothersky...I really feel like we may get this One more question that I don't know if you have advice or information on, but the reason I started using the NS was because of one inverted nipple (then for pain I started on the other side too). From what I've read on Kellymom it makes me really worried that she may not be able to latch right or pull the nipple out enough...BUT, like I said, if she is swallowing well and if she had that "milk drool" then there really isn't a reason to worry about it right?? She tends to pop off a lot but then want back on (though she does that with the shield as well), so sometimes when she starts popping off I put the shield back on just to make sure that it really is just because she's finished and usually seems like she really was done (sorry if that was confusing). So, I would think that would also be an indicator that she fed well on that side. What do you think?

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

I don't have any advice b/c I'm on the same boat. Can only BF using the NS but after seeing your Post and all the replies I may consider weaning him from the shield. It doesn't bother me except for, like you said, in public and also during the night. We co-sleep and I can never find the shield for the feedings in the middle of the night and besides he's been pulling it off and chewing on it after he is finished drinking. Let us know how things are progressing.

Yes, it is worth it! Keep going and it only will get easier. I know that you hate to hear that but it is true. I have been doing it for 8 weeks now and I just got the handle on it. But now it is time for me to go back to work and I will try to pump but it seems to much of a hassle. I am not sure how long I can last. I am sad to see BF coming to an end.

How long are you using your shield for? 15 minutes before feeding?

Quote Originally Posted by jsf28 View Post
    I don't have any advice b/c I'm on the same boat. Can only BF using the NS but after seeing your Post and all the replies I may consider weaning him from the shield. It doesn't bother me except for, like you said, in public and also during the night. We co-sleep and I can never find the shield for the feedings in the middle of the night and besides he's been pulling it off and chewing on it after he is finished drinking. Let us know how things are progressing.
    I know it's really a hard decision for me. This is the third day of me BF mostly without it...though I've still used it at night b/c it's too dark for me to see if I'm getting a good latch and let's face it, at three in the morning I really don't care. I know what you mean about losing it at night and then it becomes almost a panicky feeling when lo is really waking up ready to eat. I went and bought two spare ones and I ALWAYS keep one at the bottom of my diaper bag (unopened) and that is like my security blanket when I go anywhere, knowing I have that one. I have to admit it felt really good at my MIL's today not struggling with it. Though dd was pretty upset when we first got there and wouldn't feed w/o it until she calmed down.

Have you tried lately to see if your lo will feed without it? I used to try every once in a while and she wouldn't do it...I always thought it would get harder as time past, so I was really surprised that she's started feeding without it. Well, if you do decide to try to wean your lo off of it, let me know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by cxsanch1 View Post
    Yes, it is worth it! Keep going and it only will get easier. I know that you hate to hear that but it is true. I have been doing it for 8 weeks now and I just got the handle on it. But now it is time for me to go back to work and I will try to pump but it seems to much of a hassle. I am not sure how long I can last. I am sad to see BF coming to an end.

How long are you using your shield for? 15 minutes before feeding?
    I only use it during feedings, but right now maybe for a couple minutes then take it off.

BTW have you checked out the threads for working moms? This forum is a GREAT support for BF and pumping...it definitely does not have to come to an end b/c you are going back to work. GL