Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this worth it? Nipple shield weaning...

Default Is this worth it? Nipple shield weaning...

So I've been using nipple shields since my dd was born 3 and 1/2 months ago. I had tried before to have her feed without them and she always broke the latch relatively soon and seemed frustrated. Well I tried again today and she's fed three times without it The thing is I feel like I'm starting from scratch at 3 and 1/2 months (Is she latched on well? Is she getting enough?) I've been using the "sandwich method" and it looks right...

I guess my main question is if it's been working well for so long is it really worth going through the nipple pain and uncertainty that comes with giving up the nipple shield? I still enjoy breastfeeding with it, but always wish I'd never started her with it because it's such a hastle especially in public. Should I just keep doing what's been working for us?

Thanks!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Default Re: Is this worth it? Nipple shield weaning...

We used the NS for 6 months. I was so used to it I saw no need to wean him off of it. I tired a few times but it felt terrible. Then at 6 months Ds just kept pulling it off. All of a sudden we were nursing without it. I couldn't believe it. Were still nursing at 15 months and it is so great to be free of that NS. I don't remember the pain lasting long. I always made sure that Ds was latched on correctly. I would nurse with it on and then take it off for a while so you get used to it. Good luck. You will be so happy to be free of it!
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

That makes me hopeful that you used the NS for 6months and were able to get off of them!

I don't think she's really sucking correctly though because my nipple is coming out looking "squashed" and I read that it is an indicator of improper sucking I may start a new thread to ask about this one... But at least she's trying

It is definately worth it to get off the sheild. We us it for 3 months or so. It takes discipline on your part though. It seems easier at he time, but once lo is good without it you'll be so thankfull.
    Also, a friend told me that you knew lo was sucking right if his ears were moving. That means their using their whole jaw I think. It's a suttle movement, but you can see it move as they work their jaw.
    Rachel
    mom to Elijah 1/29/2007
    Pregnant with ds number 2 due sometime in November
    |Cleaning products that are green and safe for our babies.
    http://www.shaklee.net/jonandrachel

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    That makes me hopeful that you used the NS for 6months and were able to get off of them!

I don't think she's really sucking correctly though because my nipple is coming out looking "squashed" and I read that it is an indicator of improper sucking I may start a new thread to ask about this one... But at least she's trying
    If your nipple is look squashed, that's a sign of an improper latch. Your LO is still getting milk but it is probably not very comfortable for you. Here's a link from Kellymom regarding proper latching.

http://www.kellymom.com/newman/a-when_latching.html

I too used a nipple shield in the beginning with my DD. Perhaps for 3 weeks. It is far more easy to do without it. Your nipples really do adjust to the suction that your baby produces.

Key things to have on hand is lanisoh and a nursing pillow to help with positioning the baby.

Also, your breastmilk is the best as far as healing any scratches to the nipple. Put some on and allow nipples to air dry - works wonders.

You will see that NIP is a lot easier and far more discreet without the addition of a shield if you can help it. GL.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Thanks mothersky and rme,

I think she is latching on a bit better now (thanks for the link mothersky)... She is tending to break the latch a lot and I don't know if it's 'cause she's full or wants the NS so I've found myself putting it back on toward the end of the feed just to make sure she really was full I'm a lot more determined this time to really try to get off of it. Thanks for your encouragement

You're welcome. Glad the link helped.

Keep an eye on the amount of wet/dirty diapers your LO produces, that can be a good measure of whether she's getting enough milk. She has to relearn how to latch w/o the NS too. Give it some time.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I read (in the Dr. Sears BF Book I think) that you are supposed to let them suck on your finger before BFing so you can make sure the tongue is in the right position.

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Do you mean you heard to do this every time, or just once to make sure she knows how to suck right?

BTW when she eats I hear a lot of swallowing and she seems just as content between feedings as before... A lactation consultant told me that at this age (3.5months), you really can't rely on counting diapers anymore, so I'm not sure if that's a reliable way for me to tell anymore since I haven't really been paying attention lately.