Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Storage after heating?

Default Storage after heating?

I have looked everywhere for this answer and can't find it, I've only found what to do with refreezing thawed milk.

Say you pump and then refrigerate breast milk (for no more than a day) and warm it up when it's needed. Can you re-refrigerate it and warm it up again later? If so, how many times? If not, how long does the warmed up milk last at room temperature?

Default Re: Storage after heating?

technically I don't think you are supposed to reheat BM...though I think some people do heat the refridgerated milk,use some then refridgerate, reheat and then dump leftovers (so once)... I'm not exactly sure how long you can keep the milk outt once you use it, but I would try to use it within one to three hours

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

You should not refreeze or reheat previously heated BM. If you cannot use it within 4 hours it should be thrown out. Sad but true.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

try storing in sml amounts for less waste

According to this site it states If baby does not finish milk at one feeding, it may be refrigerated and offered at the next feeding before it is discarded.

I love kellymom.com. This is one of the sites I go to for any questions.
    Tracy...Mommy to my two beautiful girls - Kinzie Marie, 1/19/01 and Ryan Renee, 2/1/07
    Married to Danny, an amazing husband and father - 3/22/03

Age Ticker

Breast milk is better than any udder milk!

My opinion is that anybody offended by breastfeeding is staring too hard. ~David Allen

I used to do it one more time. If my Lo didn't finish the bottle i used to put the leftovers in the fridge and use it one more time. My milk was so important to be thrown. You can't believe how much i was sad when i had to throw my supply which was in the freezer.

I don't think you are suppose to re-heat. From what I've heard you should get the amount you "think" will be used and only use that... So thaw what you have pumped, pour into the bottle what you think you will use & heat it. That way you can use the rest that is now in the fridge ... at your next feeding. I think in this case better to underestimate.

DS 12/13/07 nursed exclusively 15 mos!!

with DD Due April '10 - Looking forward to and DS having a new playmate!

~ Kids: they dance before they learn there is anything that isn't music. ~

For breastmilk, the general rule is that you can refrigerate unused heated ebm then re-heat and feed ONCE more no more than 4 hours later. After that time, it's a good idea to toss what's left.

This resource (posted earlier in the thread, too) offers information from some of the top researchers in the field of lactation. I trust it completely.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/r...essedmilk.html

When you reheat refrigerated milk it normally heats portions of the milk hotter than 30°C (86°F). According to my edumacation (Home Science when I was 15) when you heat bacteria up they start to multiply fast, unless it gets hotter than about 72°C (162°F) at which point the bacteria die. If you heat up human milk to the point where it kills the bacteria, it also kills the immunological properties of the milk, leaving a nice, lipid rich sugary liquid that new bacteria can multiply in happily. If you heat it up slowly, the bacteria start multiplying faster than they would if they were in the fridge.

Long story short- discard leftover reheated milk, and don't reheat chicken more than once