Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Running out of milk for my 3yo?

Unhappy Running out of milk for my 3yo?

My DD will be 3 1/2 this month, she is still happily nursing, and I was planning on CLW--though I can hardly imagine her deciding to wean, she says she wants to drink mommy milk "forever!" Over the last week I have been noticing that my supply seems lower than it has been--that uncomfortable "pulling" sensation of letdown in an empty or nearly empty breast, etc. Drinking a lot of water has helped some. But last night as we were nursing down to sleep, she said sadly, "When will your breast make more milk?" I said "Why? Aren't you getting any milk right now?" and she said "No!" We switched sides, same story. She was very sad but continued nursing for a few more moments until she fell asleep. Then I got up and cried I don't think either one of us is ready to wean, but I could deal with it if she were ready; I felt so bad not having milk for her when she still loves it so much.

This morning I do have a little milk. Just to check *how much*, I dug my breast pump out of storage. I immediately got milk...but I pumped 20 minutes on each side and got a total of maybe 2 teaspoons.

I really don't want to wean right now, since she doesn't want to and since we are just about to do potty training (YES, I know we are very late doing that, I was waiting for her to *want* to potty train, apparently she thinks she'd just as soon wear diapers "forever" too, LOL), and I think one thing at a time is enough. I definitely want to be able to have milk for her, if possible, for at least a few more months. She nurses every morning and evening, a couple of times during the night, and at least once or twice during the day most days.

What to do??? I'm going to buy oatmeal, Mother's Milk tea, etc, and try that, as well as making sure I get plenty of liquids. I'm considering pumping a couple of times a day, to see if that will help increase my supply.

Default Re: Running out of milk for my 3yo?

Quote Originally Posted by faeriewings View Post
    What to do??? I'm going to buy oatmeal, Mother's Milk tea, etc, and try that, as well as making sure I get plenty of liquids. I'm considering pumping a couple of times a day, to see if that will help increase my supply.
    First of all, and welcome to LLL!!

Second, it seems that you are planning to do all the right things. Maybe add some fenugreek to the cocktail too. I'm certainly no expert, but it seems like all that plus the extra pumping should bring in more milk.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Is it possible you could be pregnant?

I'm clueless...

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

No, no possibility I'm pregnant. I do have the Implanon birth control implant, which I got in October, and although it is estrogen-free and supposedly suitable for bfing moms, I am wondering if that has anything to do with it. I know that moms of young babies are not recommended to get the Depo-Provera shot b/c it can sometimes cause problems.

I am so sorry, that sounds like such a sad naptime

I heartily recommend Mother's Milk tea and oatmeal. They always seem to work for me. I honestly don't know how pumping would affect you at this point, but you can always try it to see.

My DD was too young to say anything when my milk went away during my pg. She just kept on nursing, tho I know she wasn't happy about it. I would have cried, too, if she'd said something about it. I was lucky to have another round of milk in the making, tho. Well, "lucky" Not sure DD would call having a little brother lucky, but oh well.

Remember that pumping is no indication of supply, esp if you do not normally pump.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin