Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I even be worried?

Default Should I even be worried?

My husband and I were planning a 5 day trip next week and were originally going to take our 18 month old daughter. My mom then volunteered to come watch her so we could actually have some time alone.

So here is my stress (besides having never left DD before). I am 7 months pregnant and there is already no milk - but I have colostrum again. DD nurses 1-2 times a day. I'm afriad that if i am gone for 5 days she is going to wean herself while I am gone. Is this a realistic fear or am I stressing over nothing??
    Last edited by chargermom; January 9th, 2008 at 02:58 PM.

Default Re: Should I even be worried?

Well, you don't say whether or not YOU would like her to wean...so is it a "fear"? Wouldn't be for me personally.

Anyway, I am guessing that even if she does "give up the boob," when she sees the new baby taking milk, she might want some for herself again!

i'm not wanting to wean. I guess if i was around everyday and she didnt want it - i could live with that. But I hate the idea of going out of town for a few days and her weaning from that.

It may not happen. I went away for a three day weekend, crawled into the bed when I got home (lo was sleeping next to hubby) she woke up just enough to latch on!

I agree she could always change her mind and start up when the baby is born, so I don't think it would be terrible to go ahead. Maybe you could pump a few times while you're gone so you don't dry up completely (if you're that worried)?

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.

Hello,

I'm 9 months pregnant, with a 19 month old nursing toddler. IMO, your DD is nursing for comfort right now, not for milk, so if she still has a need for nursing, she will pick up right where she left off when you come home. If it were me, I'd go and enjoy my time with DH. HTH!

--Jill

My friend, who's child is almost as old as me, weaned her 18 month old exactly like that. The baby was only nursing once or twice a day and they got a free cruise and left for a week. The baby was weaned when they returned.

But I also agree that if it's a strong need, she'll pick right back up. I left my dd when she was, I think, that age for two nights and three days and it did not affect our nursing relationship at all. When I was out of milk, THAT's when my child decided she no longer wanted to nurse. She still remembers it and I've even offered recently out of curiosity and she just said, "no, you don't have any milk."

Guess it depends on the kid. What's your gut tell you?