Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When Will He Sleep Through The Night?

Question When Will He Sleep Through The Night?

LO is 10 months old and in full-time daycare. He reluctantly drinks bottles and never consumes more than 4-6 ounces of breastmilk per day while I am at work. He has been reverse-cycling (nursing more often at night) since he was 3 months old.

He is still waking up once or twice a night between 11pm and 6am to breastfeed. His pediatrician said this feeding is not needed for nutrition, it is simply for comfort. We have tried to wean him from the middle-of-the-night feeding by having Daddy offer a water bottle or formula bottle or breastmilk bottle, but LO simply refuses them. He will calmly wait with Daddy until Mommy appears to offer the breast. He will calmly wait for HOURS.

Is it normal for a breastfed baby to continue waking throughout the night to nurse until he weans himself? Is there something we can do to help him sleep through the night, or are we fighting a losing battle? Do you have any suggestions, or should we just wait a few more months until he eventually weans himself?

Thanks!

Default Re: When Will He Sleep Through The Night?

I'm kinda having the same thing. 9.5 month old dd finally slept through the night at like 6/7 months, cut teeth at 8 months and woke alot during the night. finally started sleeping again and last week, she started waking again. at like 4 or 5. I'm trying to let her cry it out but it's like an hour or more of it. I'm sooo tired!! and is my husband. any suggestions? sorry for hijacking your post but I'm in the same boat it seems!

My twins are at 15.5 mo and have only twice slept from 11pm to 6am without waking up. We have been trying the Dr. Jay Gordon method and it seems to be helping. They used to wake up 2-3 times a night to nurse. The only thing is the Gordon method does not recommend being used for kids under one year.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbaby518 View Post
    His pediatrician said this feeding is not needed for nutrition, it is simply for comfort.
    That's ridiculous. BM has just as much fat and calories at night as it does during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbaby518 View Post
    Is it normal for a breastfed baby to continue waking throughout the night to nurse until he weans himself? Is there something we can do to help him sleep through the night, or are we fighting a losing battle? Do you have any suggestions, or should we just wait a few more months until he eventually weans himself?

Thanks!
    Totally normal. But I wouldn't hold your breath for him to wean himself in a few months! DD is 18 months and still reverse-cycles (I work fulltime too). So, I don't really have any suggestions for you!

L e i l a, married to hubby, loving our "bock-ee" kinda girl, 6.23.06
    Learn about the prepuce before you have a boy.
    Dental issues? Find out how to Cure Tooth Decay.