Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eating Fist

Default Eating Fist

Someone once told me that if your LO eats their fist all the time it means that they are hungry. Is this true? And if it is, my LO does it a lot, even after I have just feed her. Does this mean that she is not getting enough to eat when I do feed her?

Default Re: Eating Fist

Alot of the time depending on their age they are rubbing their gums in preparation for teeting. How old is your lo. At about 4 months they just seem to always have either their hands or feet in their mouths at all times. Slurping for my lo indicates hunger, so I would say watch your lo for the differences in mouthing actions.

I agree- alot depends on the age... my dd has had her fingers in her mouth since birth and constantly since about 2 months.... she is 7 months now and easy to read for hunger cues.. I don't think it really means that they are always hungry- some babies just like to chew on their fists.. if the baby is less than 2 months its more likely that its a hunger cue

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

How old is your baby? Could be teething or just discovering the fist is a wonderful thing to chew on.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

My son does it all the time even right after I feed him. He is almost 13 weeks. In one of the books(Touchpoints Birth to Three) suggested to me by my nurse in the hospital when I had him is that it is not only a sign of early teethers but also a way babies Self Soothe. By the way this is a GREAT book!

Like pp's said it might not be hunger but it definitely could be. My little one used to do it a lot at around 2-3mo but now he does it every once in a while. I used to check him all the time and try to nurse him when it turned out that he just wanted his hand. Now however, he does seem to do it when he's hungry, he can soothe himself with it and wont fuss if he's hungry bc I think he thinks it's me

I would just check just to be sure..sometimes they get pissed off at this because you're taking their hand away
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Early on, it's a definate hunger sign. After 3 months or so, it could be a teething sign.

My LO just turned 5 months and hasn't used the fist to indicate hunger for some time now... Hunger is more like a fussy cry. Eating his fists now is more like just a fun thing for him to do

my daughter eats her fists constantly.. even after she has eaten. she is now 3 months and she started doing it 4 weeks ago. i thought the same thing but her weight was fine. the doc said she might be teething early.. we noticed she drools alot too

Quote Originally Posted by kriss.shyla View Post
    my daughter eats her fists constantly.. even after she has eaten. she is now 3 months and she started doing it 4 weeks ago. i thought the same thing but her weight was fine. the doc said she might be teething early.. we noticed she drools alot too
    Mine too!!!
    • First time mommy to Alyssa Nicole 7 lbs. 19 3/4 in. born 10/17/07 via c-section.

finally off the since 10/24/08

We made it, 12 months!!!!!!!!

Donated 500 oz. so far, and counting...

2 weeks - 7 lbs 6 oz.
    2 months - 10 lbs.
    4 months - 12 lbs. 3 oz.
    6 months - 14 lbs. 1 oz.
    9 months - 16 lbs. 7 oz.
    12 months - 18 lbs. 10 oz.